Mycoplasmosis - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Mycoplasmosis

I think my two rats have mycoplasmosis. I read that it is a very common disease. They both sneeze and chatter a lot, but generally are very well. They are each about 1 and a half, so quite near the end of their lives. They have had these syptoms for a while now and it dosn't seem to bother them. But I was wondering what I should do? Should I take them to the vets?
Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vixen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Zoo!!!

Polo, Pepper, Solo, Bullet, Trigger, Bandit and Gem

About 50 of them

(rats) Ebony and Sotty
(Chickens) Persephone, Penny, Pandora and Pansy
Giant Afircan land snails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 07:24 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

It could just be a URI.

Every rat has mycoplasmosis. Some rats it doesn't show up in until they're under stress. There are some things that can make it flare up and usually a simple round of antibiotics will made it stop.

It can be as simple as bedding allergies or a change in their environment. Do they have polyphorin around their eyes and noses? That can be a good sign to. You can do a search at the RMCA on the disease. They should have some pretty good articles.

*Missy*
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

They don't have polyphorin around their eyes or nose. Thanks anyway. I will look that up.
xxxxxx

Vixen

My Zoo!!!

About 50 of them

(rats) Ebony and Sotty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

A vet check would probably be best because sneezing in rats isn't good. Have they always sneezed? Or are they sneezing a lot more now then they did before?

*Missy*
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Adolescent Pup

HI,

Like Pinkie said, myco is carried in nearly all rats. What ends up making a rat sick is when a secondary infection creeps in. Some of those infections are pretty low level like in my Cadoo and Cosmo. They were sneezing a bit and definitely crackly breathing (off/on). But oddly enough no polyporphrin. They still played, ate, and had no trouble breathing. Both just finished up ABs. They are 12wks old. Our rat, Inky, at 19mos old, within 24hrs, went from a healthy happy girlie to deathly ill. She was in heart failure and some kind of URI. It was obviously a vicious infection. She had no polyporphrin either. But definitely in bad shape. We took her to the vet. She was given an injection of Lasix and some ABs, but the infection was just too much for her. She died the following morning.

If you think your babes are crackling/sneezing too much and if you can hear noise in their lungs when you do the ole ear to chest test, you may want to have a vet check them out.

I'll be the first to say that I tried to hold off the vet with Cadoo. When it became obvious that the crackling was in his chest, I hauled him off to the vet. With Inky there was zero doubt about her being ill, she went right away.

I hope your babes are okay.

Redsweettart

boys: cadoo, cosmo, jinx, moe, ziggy
girlies: sox, chops

gone: Inky--2/7/07 Oreo 4/1/07
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I agree with redsweettart about myco.

Porphryin (red fluid or red crusting around eyes and nose) is always an indicator of stress or illness.

Oh and btw 18 months is middle aged not near the end. Mycoplasmosis is always rearing its ugly head in your rat but the immune system fights it off in normal healthy animals. At 18 months the immune system is starting to wear out, and thats when opportunistic infections start to get through. At this age you definitely need to treat with abs to give their immune system the extra help. My average age in my rescue colony for passing or having to be pts is 24-26 months, and I have had many 28 monthers and 2 boys make it to over 3 years old, so don't give up on 1 1/2 years old, it just might be only half their lifespan.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Ok thanks.
They have basically always sneezed though, I was just wondering whether it gets worse as they get older?

Vixen

My Zoo!!!

About 50 of them

(rats) Ebony and Sotty
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

How often do they sneeze? If its excessive it could be that they aren't well or there is something environmental going on.

One of the hardest things to do is to explain what too much sneezing is.

Do they sneeze hard a bunch of times in a row? Do they sneeze every 1/2 hour or hour? Are they wet sounding?

Most likely that sneezing will worsen as they age.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

They sneeze a few times an hour but it has always been like that. I know they are wet because they sneeze on me!!! hehe

Vixen

My Zoo!!!

About 50 of them

(rats) Ebony and Sotty
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 06:20 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Wet sneezes are not good.

What bedding do you have them on? How often do you clean the cage?
Are they bright, health, active rats other than the sneezing? No crackling, rough fur, dull eyes, lethargy?

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

They have the carefresh bedding, I clean them out once a week, removing soiled litter every day. They are not very active in their cage, but are when I get them out. They are fairly healthy and have had these wet sneezes for a while now.

Vixen

My Zoo!!!

About 50 of them

(rats) Ebony and Sotty
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Hmmm...I personally had issues with carefresh myself, my many rats and I sneezed like crazy while using it. Are you willing to try an experiment? Buy some fleece or even towels and use that as bedding for a bit and see if the sneezes abate?

I have some girls who are extremely sensitive to smells myself. I have everyone on fleece right now (6 cages..ugh) and it seems to be working.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ok. So would you cut it up before putting it in?
I will try.
Hopefully it will help
Thanks xx

Vixen

My Zoo!!!

About 50 of them

(rats) Ebony and Sotty
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 07:04 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybreeder
ok. So would you cut it up before putting it in?
I will try.
Hopefully it will help
Thanks xx
No you put it in flat. Then they would need a litter pan as well. then the joy of attempting to litter train your rats.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 07:12 AM
Adolescent Pup

Yeah you can say I'm attempting to train my boys. They like pooing all around the perimeter of the litterbox and then hide their foods in the litter. ACK! The 95% of the poo in the box is what I put in there. sheesh!!!

Actually quite a few rats are good with the litterbox. My boys, at this point, don't happen to be in that 'few'.

Redsweettart

boys: cadoo, cosmo, jinx, moe, ziggy
girlies: sox, chops

gone: Inky--2/7/07 Oreo 4/1/07

Tags
carefresh bedding, litter pan, litter train