Mycoplasmosis Test....Positive. ;---; - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Mycoplasmosis Test....Positive. ;---;

I have had this little guy since last Monday. Hes even grown since then. Ive grown so attached to him. Everyday has been a mix of joy worry and a sappy motherly overtone. Feeding him his meds every morning and night was like a routine that always was. But now, everything came toppling over today. Even though I finally named him...Bishop. ;------;

I woke him for his meds and he was sneezing not unlike a trumpet. Fluent and voluminous. I called the veterinarians office with the news and within the next 3 hours they received his Mycoplasmosis test result. His test results came back ugly and positive.

Im going tomorrow at 1PM to see if theres ANYTHING that can be done for him. Obviously medications does nothing for him as far as suppressing the symptoms.

What...happens to a rat that tested positive? Have any of you lived with one? I have a hard time understanding what his health will be like as he grows...He is so little and so small. I dont think that...his life will be long the way hes going. Am i thinking wrong? Hes only about 5-6 weeks now.

Last edited by bokuza; 06-23-2009 at 01:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 01:46 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm so sorry, poor guy, I hope he is alright

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 06:36 AM

Unfortunately there is no cure for mycoplasma pulmonis, the bacteria which causes this lives in the upper respiratory tract, and is generally passed by contact between mother and baby, through the birth canal(genital mycoplasmosis), sexually, and over short distances through the air, If respiratory illness has developed as a result of mycoplasma pulmonis, treatment is available which will help Bishop live a comfortable and extended life, he may eventually require constant treatment, I can't say for sure what life expectancy is, but to be honest, as long as you keep him in a stress free environment, with a safe bedding product, in order to prevent build up of ammonia, or phenols from cedar and pine, you can help improve his life expectancy, your vet will be able to tell you in more detail about Bishop's outlook than I can, although I don't think the news is as bad as it might seem, hope this is helpful, please be sure to keep us informed....

Last edited by Craig Thatcher; 06-23-2009 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Clarifying a point
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

So hed never be able to have a friend right? Hed end up spreading it?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

It's my understanding that almost all pet rats will have myco. It's extremely contagious and is so prevalent that it's nearly impossible to avoid. If you happened to get another rat without it, then yes, this rat would transfer it. However, unless you obtained the next rat from a very specialized breeder you can be almost certain that he would already have myco as well.

Myco can mean different things for different rats. It makes them more prone to infections, especially respiratory infections. I've had rats with chronic respiratory issues living with other rats with no respiratory issues ever. It's sad that they all have it, but it does not mean that your rat will necessarily have a terrible, sickly life.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 03:40 PM

Its a bit like the herpes simplex in humans, everyone carries it, some people develop cold sores, others are resistant, so don't, I understand that some rats are resistant to developing illness as a result of myco, but I believe it is true that all rats carry it in their upper respiratory tract, I agree that it does not mean all rats will develop serious illness as a result, some are resistant, I looked into this a while ago when I first heard of it, there is antibiotics and so on which can help alleviate secondary infection should a little friend have problems. Sorry i didn't make it clear in my first post, I am such a div sometimes.....
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for explaining it to me guys. I don't plan on getting another rat, I was just wondering if i had it right. His vet bills are so expensive. :O

Hmm well i just got back from the vets and his lungs do sound worse (expecting that), he also has some parasites so we were given dewormers, a pain killer for relief, Benedryl for his snuffles, and were to continue his Enrofloxin and Doxycycline regiment as well.

So far.......$310.56 worth of meds and damage. Haha. DAM.
Im gunna be super sad if this little guy doesn't perk up with all this!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 06:13 PM

Wow, that is even expensive if converted to Brit money! Hope things are better for you both now, Bishop should perk up over the next few days, the meds will help certainly. Ciao for now!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

If he had parasites, that could be why his myco is flaring. All rats have it and certain things cause flare ups like cedar and pine, any new change in the environment, other illnesses etc. Myco isn't the end of the world so he will probably do well on treatment if the other things he has are cleared up first.

It's weird that they did a myco test when all rats have it anyway.

*Missy*
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

While stress is a factor, he was sneezing before I got him and has been confirmed for an upper respiratory infection.
However the vets have informed me the only reason he has an infection is because the mass amounts of myco he has.
The test is to see how voluminous the myco is if im thinking correctly. Yes ever rat has it, but some rats have in mass amounts. :C

Last edited by bokuza; 06-24-2009 at 12:02 AM.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 05:35 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

May I ask how your vet did this myco test? Considering that ALL pet rats have myco you may have paid through the nose for a test you should never have needed.

There are a few specially bred lab rats that are myco-free but they are few and far between, and very expensive to buy. The rest of us have rats with myco, but some rats have weaker immune systems and when the myco is constantly bombarding their immune system, some stressor allows a secondary infection to come in and take hold.

You CAN test for mycoplasmosis but it takes a very dangerous blood sample, sending it off to one of a few special labs to do a serology test on.

For eg.

http://www.radil.missouri.edu/serologyrat.html

Please keep it in mind "vet" doesn't always equal "good vet".

I have a vet up the road from me, who charges over $1000 for a tumour removal, $275.00 for a euthanasia, and now that I know better (I was a newbie at the time) and can double check their "services" with others, they don't medicate the rats properly at all.

I have a great vet now, but I had to learn painfully and expensively the little mantra above. Some are useless and can practically kill your rat with the wrong meds, overdose,etc. Some are very expensive and money-grubbing..,so you have to always double check with people about your treatments. Antibiotics are very specific to certain issues, there are some good broad spectrum ones that are often used, but some vets don't...

Sooo now that we know your rat is sick, lets find out what his symptoms are, and what your vet has given you to treat him with.

Once he's not sick again, you should get him a friend. Rats are very social creatures and just aren't their happiest alone, no matter how much time you spend with them

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

No worries. My vet is the best of best. Ive double checked the meds before Ive fed them to him or even considered it. My vet has done almost everything by the book. Hes a good man. I messed up the appointment today, It was for tomorrow but out of kindness he drove to work on his day off. Nice guy really.

As far as the test goes...he used a 'swab'. It cost roughly $40.00.
Not bad considering where were located. I find that yes this test was needed. Because after 3-4 days of Enro and Doxy I knew that something was wrong when he showed no signs of recovering even the slightest. I wouldn't have known if we didn't take the test. Its good we did because he took a plummet right before when we visited the vets office.

Well...I dont want to risk another rats health. If I put him in with an adopted rat i may be risking the adopted rats health! I have no idea how the other rats will react to the little guys myco.
Dont you think it wouldn't be safe?

:C Atleast he has a HUGE Martins cage coming on Friday for him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
May I ask how your vet did this myco test? Considering that ALL pet rats have myco you may have paid through the nose for a test you should never have needed.

There are a few specially bred lab rats that are myco-free but they are few and far between, and very expensive to buy. The rest of us have rats with myco, but some rats have weaker immune systems and when the myco is constantly bombarding their immune system, some stressor allows a secondary infection to come in and take hold.

You CAN test for mycoplasmosis but it takes a very dangerous blood sample, sending it off to one of a few special labs to do a serology test on.

For eg.

http://www.radil.missouri.edu/serologyrat.html

Please keep it in mind "vet" doesn't always equal "good vet".

I have a vet up the road from me, who charges over $1000 for a tumour removal, $275.00 for a euthanasia, and now that I know better (I was a newbie at the time) and can double check their "services" with others, they don't medicate the rats properly at all.

I have a great vet now, but I had to learn painfully and expensively the little mantra above. Some are useless and can practically kill your rat with the wrong meds, overdose,etc. Some are very expensive and money-grubbing..,so you have to always double check with people about your treatments. Antibiotics are very specific to certain issues, there are some good broad spectrum ones that are often used, but some vets don't...

Sooo now that we know your rat is sick, lets find out what his symptoms are, and what your vet has given you to treat him with.

Once he's not sick again, you should get him a friend. Rats are very social creatures and just aren't their happiest alone, no matter how much time you spend with them

Last edited by bokuza; 06-24-2009 at 06:18 AM.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 06:17 AM
Rodentologist

I don't think you have a clear understanding of myco. It is not something that is triggered. Mycoplasmosis are small organisms that live in rats. All rats have them. All of them. Putting a rat having a "myco flareup" as they're called with another rat does not "give" the other rat myco, because the other rat already has it, just in lesser amounts than your ailing rat. Rats living completely alone can have myco flareups because the organisms are already there.

Your vet did a nose swab, which basically cultures whatever is in the snot. If your rat was completely healthy, s/he would have also shown a myco load.

http://ratguide.com/health/bacteria/...oplasmosis.php

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 06:45 AM

Thank you for clarifying that point, I couldn't have put it better myself, the biggest risk to the respiratory system is the secondary infections, pneumonia e.t.c, I tried using the herpes simplex analogy, but my words are often clumsy, I agree with what Jennicat has said, there is no risk to other rats, unless a secondary infection has taken hold, antibiotics work well in those cases....
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

UGH. I can't explain it well and I don't know it well. Ill call my vet and have him explain it to me...exactly what Bishop has.

Last edited by bokuza; 06-24-2009 at 06:58 AM.