Naked Kids Conundrum... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Naked Kids Conundrum...

Guh...

I'm sweating the arrival of my last two new kids, the naked boys.

The whole adoption was contingent on the breeder being willing to travel to meet me halfway. I have been able to get the minimum 2 weeks QT guaranteed, but now my QT people have said they will be moving several hours out of town around Xmas time. Which gives me barely 2 weeks.

Now the breeder is expressing concern that she won't be able to arrange meet up this weekend as planned.

My only option then would be to accept the boys knowing they won't be getting even the bare minimum of QT time. I have since discovered that this was not a fairly closed rattery as I thought, but that the rattery was being temporarily housed at a rat rescue that near as I can tell doesn't observe QT. I have also just found out that one of the rats recently rescued is one who has been running loose outside for several weeks on top of the other rescues who came from varied icky situations. From what they say, no one has been sick. From what they say.

So while I'm not going to bend on the 2 week minimum, which means I may not get the kids if this weekend falls through, I'm also tossing over and over in my head if it's even a good idea to get the kids at all unless a miracle occurs and I can find someone to keep them for the full five weeks of QT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 04:02 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

aww

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 05:49 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm sure something will come available

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Hmmmm, you know, if you have doubts about it, then maybe it's best not to take them on right now. There will certainly be more chances for you to get additions to your little group, so if you have worries about it, then it's probably best to go with your gut reaction.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Yah. There are two different angles I'm considering in addition to what I've said here, so if those two things pan out in the next two days, I'll bring them home. Otherwise, I'm going to have to just tell her I can't do this and send her a donation to the rattery for her trouble and time.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Part of the Pack

that sucks story, i'm sorry to hear it

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 06:51 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Do I dare ask why 5 weeks?

Any rat viruses or contagions would show between 1-2 weeks...3 weeks is the norm for QT...the breeder sounds umm..scary.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
Do I dare ask why 5 weeks?

Any rat viruses or contagions would show between 1-2 weeks...3 weeks is the norm for QT...the breeder sounds umm..scary.

yeah i have to agree with lil spaz, for all the difficulty i had getting my kids the breeder never said anything like that to me. and its mad sketch even small rescue operations around here observe QT.

How well do you know her?

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Do understand that I'm dealing with two different breeders. The breeder of the nakeds is in a situation that is raising flags with me, but some of those things are in the process of changing, and she has learning potential in her. I have several reasons to think she will eventually be a good breeder, but not just yet. She has been housing her rattery until last week temporarily at a third party's house. The third party runs a rescue out of her home and I am not sure that place observed QT practices. Thus, the nakeds were exposed unessessarily.

The breeder that gave me the 5 week advice on QT was a different lady entirely, and it was this lady I got my black kids and my Siamese boy from. I posed the 2 week question to HER, and here's what she sent me:

"The standard for any quarantine is 4 weeks, if its coming from a source that is of higher risk such as a pet store or any breeder's currently active breeding colony then it needs to be 5 weeks. Im not sure where the idea of the 2 weeks standard is coming from or why is has recently become the current trend with people but while most illness generally takes around 2 weeks to show symptoms, there are some very deadly ones that can take up to 4 weeks or more to show. Also, the time of the initial infection becomes important when looking at sheeding and dormiant periods for each virus or bacteria. When a colony has currently breeding, birthing and nursing rats, the period of quarantine does not stop until the last litter is fully weaned and seperated from mom as the mom produces antibioties that can hide and stall the infections until the babies are weaned, at which point, then is the start of the infection and then symptoms can occur up to 5 weeks later. By this point, you could be looking individuals who don't show until 2 or more months into the initial infection period. If there is another litter then born during this time, the period must start only after they are weaned. This is why breeding colonies are sometimes the most highest at risk for these things due to this and can keep a virus or bacteria active and infecting almost continuously for years."

I personally trust her. She is highly respected as a rat breeder in our tri-state area and has worked closely with me from day one of contacting her about her kids. I've found her nothing but knowledgeable and honest in every dealing I've had with her. Her attitude was two weeks minimum, but to be sure, you should really do 5 weeks with no active infection. She is also very practical in that 'hey, it's not easy, so we do just what we can. If 2 days is the max you can quarantine, then two days it is, but understand you're taking a risk.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 12-09-2010 at 09:53 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 06:21 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

She is quoting you what a breeder should QT and yes there's is a total difference but you are a pet home...btw I said THREE weeks not 2 weeks as 2 weeks is not quite enough. Sometimes an issue will show up at the end of the 2 weeks.

Ask her what illnesses will show up after 2 weeks from exposure?

This is for you to learn about, don't just accept anything people say (including me) research, research, research.

http://ratguide.com/health/basics/quarantine.php

Myco and Car B won't usually be detected by a 5 week quarantine anyways...its a persistent infection.

SDA, Sendai WILL be detected as there are usually signs of infection a week past exposure. On Goose it looks like someone brought in sick "rescued" babies and infected all the residents with something contagious. The fast breathing, and crackling makes me think of Sendai

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Sorry, yeah, I know /you/ said three weeks, but most people say 2 weeks, and so that's what I asked her a couple of weeks ago.

And, yes, thanks, I'd planned on asking her more about the exact illnesses, I just hadn't yet. We can't do enough research on these guys.

On the up side, it looks like the meet up is scheduled for this weekend after all, which means I'll have a full two weeks of QT guaranteed. Also as of last night I have a potential back up QT to cover the rest of any time. I dropped the cage off at the QT house yesterday, and will pick up the nakeds on Saturday. We're traveling a few hours each for a meet up half way.

As of this morning, I feel more comfortable with my prospects, but I don't kid myself, this is definitely a case of me succumbing to the lure of getting my coveted nakeds. What is it someone said to me? "Color over quality"? I may end up being yet another cautionary tale at the end of all this.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

i'm sorry to post this in here because i don't want to take away from the original post, but I know sendai is super contagious... are URI's also contagious? is there any sneezing/difficulty breathing virus that is NOT contagious between rats? I'm just wondering
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
She is quoting you what a breeder should QT and yes there's is a total difference but you are a pet home...btw I said THREE weeks not 2 weeks as 2 weeks is not quite enough. Sometimes an issue will show up at the end of the 2 weeks.

Ask her what illnesses will show up after 2 weeks from exposure?

This is for you to learn about, don't just accept anything people say (including me) research, research, research.

http://ratguide.com/health/basics/quarantine.php

Myco and Car B won't usually be detected by a 5 week quarantine anyways...its a persistent infection.

SDA, Sendai WILL be detected as there are usually signs of infection a week past exposure. On Goose it looks like someone brought in sick "rescued" babies and infected all the residents with something contagious. The fast breathing, and crackling makes me think of Sendai

Ringworm has a 21 day incubation period. (Learned that the hard way).

We also tend to do a 4-5 week quarantine on our rescues to allow them time to show any illnesses. We've found that sometimes they'll arrive healthy, get stressed by all the change, and then have myco flareups.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry