Need Advice on Harlan Teklad Rat Blocks/Mazuri Food Confusion - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Need Advice on Harlan Teklad Rat Blocks/Mazuri Food Confusion

Hello all!
I have a poser of a question for all the rat food experts out there. We are new rat baby owners by the way! Here is my puzzler:

We bought Mazuri lab blocks for the babies, and no problems, they eat it and seem to like it, but I have been doing more research and from what I read, people seem to really give the thumbs up for Harlan Teklad blocks. Super, but now I am confused and here is why:

According to my research, a good growth food for rats under 8 months would be a lower protein block like the Harlan Teklad 2018 blocks which are 18% protein and they recommend it for growing ratties, but I noticed that the primary ingredient in those is not soybean meal and I have read that soybean as the primary ingredient is much better for rats than having wheat or corn as the first ingredient. And these 2018 blocks have corn/wheat as the primary ingredient, not soybean. Hmmm!

However, the Harlan Teklad 8604 blocks DO have soybean as the first ingredient and I have read great reviews from breeders about it but the protein content is 24 percent and that seems to contradict what I have read, about high protein not being as good for rats as it can cause liver (or kidney?) damage later down the road.

My Mazuri blocks DO have soybean as the first ingredient, but the protein content is 23 percent and it also has alfalfa, which I read was not good for rats either. So, does anyone have any opinions or advice on my quandary? I just want what is best for my little guys! They are 6 weeks old by the way. Thanks all!

Vlad-New Rat Baby Mother
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 08:53 PM

I had issues with Mazuri, the protein levels were actually too high for my babies and they started showing symptoms. :C Switched to Oxbow and now were fine.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hi Bokuza,
Thanks for the reply! Question? I only saw one type of rat block on the Oxbow site and it is for rats 8 months or older but my babies are only 6 weeks. Did you start using a specific type of Oxbow? Was it Regal Rat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

There is only Regal Rat made by Oxbow.

The lower the protein/fat etc, the better all around for a rat's health and longevity. Most rat owners actually prefer the Harlan Teklad 2014 (14%) for their rats and with younger rats or pregnant/lactating rescues I add additional proteins to their diet.

the Mazuri is a decent diet but the protein is very high UNLESS you can get a hold of the 50 lb bags of Mazuri Rodent Breeder 6F (16%) which is much better, but hard to find and if you only have a few rats, not worth it.

Harlan has been carefully formulated for rats of all types/ages, and my rats prefer it over all other foods, including oxbow, which is a very healthy diet but some rats end up disliking it so much they will almost "starve" themselves before eating it.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Thanks so much for the post, it confirmed what I was thinking! I will go for the Harlan Teklad.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I actually have a question about this, too! I am curently using Oxbow, and my rats refuse to eat it! I would try Mazuri, but I'm wondering if rats normally have more problems liking Oxbow or Mazuri? (I've read somewhere that a lot of rats don't like Mazuri either.)

Also, where and how can I order the Harlan Teklad blocks, and what type is best for growing 8-week-olds? I've been to their main site, but I couldn't find any information about ordering food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Re: Oxbow/Mazuri Question

Hi there!
Well, I am sure that there will always be rats that like one food and don't like another but as far as Klausse and Wolfgang go (my baby boy rats), they actually LOVE their Mazuri blocks.

Of course, I got scared about the high protein content so I started to slowly wean them off the Mazuri and I am now incorporating some Harlan Teklad 2018 with lower protein into their daily diet BUT, guess what? Right after I started them on the Harlan blocks, I finally received a reply from a woman from the American Fancy Rat and Mouse Club or one of those organizations, and she responded to my question by saying, "Mazuri is great, just fine for your 8 week old babies, no problems with Mazuri." So there you go. Like someone else said, there will always be disagreements about lab blocks, as I have learned!
So, there you go! For now, they are on a combo of Harlan and Mazuri. They seem to be fine with the Harlan too. Hope that helped a bit but I didn't really answer your question probably!
Vlad
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

P.S. on Oxbow/Mazuri

Breyer,
One more thing that I remember....I have noticed a lot of posts about rats famously disliking Oxbow which is too bad because I have been told countless times that this is really a great lab block for rats, but alas, a lot of rats seem to not like eating it too much. Bummer, eh?
Vlad
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladina View Post
Hi there!
Well, I am sure that there will always be rats that like one food and don't like another but as far as Klausse and Wolfgang go (my baby boy rats), they actually LOVE their Mazuri blocks.

Of course, I got scared about the high protein content so I started to slowly wean them off the Mazuri and I am now incorporating some Harlan Teklad 2018 with lower protein into their daily diet BUT, guess what? Right after I started them on the Harlan blocks, I finally received a reply from a woman from the American Fancy Rat and Mouse Club or one of those organizations, and she responded to my question by saying, "Mazuri is great, just fine for your 8 week old babies, no problems with Mazuri." So there you go. Like someone else said, there will always be disagreements about lab blocks, as I have learned!
So, there you go! For now, they are on a combo of Harlan and Mazuri. They seem to be fine with the Harlan too. Hope that helped a bit but I didn't really answer your question probably!
Vlad
Ok, thanks!! This is good to know. I know that higher protein content is actually better for growing babies, but it sure is a chore trying to get them to actually eat the Oxbow! I ordered some Harlan Teklad Global 2018 this morning, so we'll try that out and see how they like it. I can get Mazuri from the Petsmart nearby, but it ends up being a bit more expensive than the Harlan... in either case, I'm just using it as their base food that I mix in as part of their Shunamite diet! I appreciate your help!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

No problem, and I'm not sure what I said that helped but I am glad you thought so!

Tags
rat blocks