Need Advise!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Need Advise!!!

Hello all,
I am a rattie mommy of five male sweethearts. One of these guys will be 2 years old in January, one just turned 1 in October and the 3 youngsters are going to turn 1 in March. I let them out every night for two hours to run and play in a safe room with me. They live in a mansion of a cage and have many little straw houses to hide in inside the cage.
* my question/concern: I will be going out of state for Thanksgiving for 10 days. I have not found anyone to look in on my little trouble makers. Do you think that they will survive/be ok for those 10 days if I give them enough food and water? I am really worried about leaving them, but I know that they are hearty animals and could probably survive. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Adolescent Pup

Hi Sarah,

I wouldn't be comfortable leaving rats for more than a couple of days. Especially since you have one older guy. Rats can go downhill so very quickly in a matter of a day. I just wouldn't risk it. Often times vet offices will do boarding for small animals provided you bring a cage and food for them to stay in. If not, do you perhaps have a friend or family member that could come check on them daily? 10 days is just way too long to leave them, IMO.

Christy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 03:26 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

Are you sure no one can come once or twice a day to feed/water them and make sure they are okay? I'd be really worried, but I may just be paranoid.

If you can't find ANYBODY, then I would leave your boys with a couple water bottles (in case one runs out/leaks, that sort of thing) and a couple bowls of food. I don't know about your guys, but mine are little piggies and a full bowl hardly lasts them one day. And make sure their cage is nice and clean, too.

As long as they have food and water...they should be fine, as long as no freak accidents happen. They have each toher to play with, so they shouldn't get bored.

I would still try to find somebody...anybody...who can check on them to make sure they are fine.