NEED HELP!!! Looking for a good home for a mouse - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy NEED HELP!!! Looking for a good home for a mouse

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, and I am REALLY looking for help. Some time ago we brought a mouse from Petco. We never even thought about taking the mouse before! We used to have cats, and we have a fish and a snail now, so on the way to get some stuff for the fish, we stopped by mice and other animals as usual, since my daughter is 5 yo and Petco is like a little ZOO for her. Anyway, suddenly my husband fall in love with the only black male mouse there. That creature was adorable (and still is), and in order to save him from being eating... you know what I mean... we purchased this mouse and everything that he needed. Well.. we just completely forgot that mouse SMELLS. That was couple months ago. We live in a small apartment with very bad air circulation, it is getting cold outside, and we cannot keep the balcony door open all the time. We tried different food, changing and cleaning the cage every 3-4 days, using special drops with drinking water. DOES NOT WORK. It SMELLS. We just cannot clean it every day, impossible, and does not work anyway. Last time I spent over $30 on new food, bedding etc. And we are both unemployed at the moment, so we really cannot spend that much on the mouse. So.
We are looking for someone in Central Jersey or maybe Brooklyn, NY who could take the mouse. We cannot just give it away from craigslist or something like that because we feel responsible for this creature.
But we really cannot keep it anymore.
PLEASE HELP!!!! We will bring the mouse with the cage and all the stuff and food etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Official Loofah Tester

I don't know anyone in your area who would take your poor mouse. This is one reason I wish pet stores wouldn't sell animals. It encourages impulse purchases that aren't good for families or animals.

What you could do is offer him on craiglist or pet finder for your area.

Put up a sweet picture of him, and a nice story about what a great little guy he is. Advertize him as pet only and charge an adoption fee that's about twice the amount for feeder mice, probably around $10. This will weed out 99 percent of people looking for cheap or free food for their snakes.

You could even refrain from mentioning that his housing and food are included, but give it to them after they commit to taking him. Some snake people, if they know the cage is included, will view the adoption fee as paying for the cage (which they can resell at a profit), and getting the feeder mouse for free.

Best of luck! And thank you for being willing to find him a home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 03:39 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yes, Petfinder.com is a great place for adopting out your mouse. They screen potential adopters and there is a fee involved so that does weed out all the snake people. Good idea!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.