Need help with newborn rats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Need help with newborn rats

I have two rats (both very tame), and I noticed the female was getting bigger (too big to big to squeeze thru the tubes) and I thought it was simply because I was over-feeding her (I do give them lots of treats)

But when I got home from work last night, I had 9 (yes, nine) new rats.

I don't know the first thing about taking care of baby rats. I have already put the father in another cage, but other than that, what should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Part of the Pack

She might be vicious right now, so be careful while handling. I got nailed by one of my nesting does just yesterday - they mean business. Even if they're extremely tame before having a litter, they often get VICIOUS.

9 isn't to terribly large of a litter, so she should do just fine on her own.

Make sure to up her protein. I mix in a handful of cat food.

And, just idly wondering, were you trying to breed them?

From now on, keep them separate at all times. Hopefully she hadn't bred back, as they go into a post partum heat any time within 12 hours of delivery, during which time she is receptive to the male and WILL breed back. If that was the case, don't be surprised if she delivers 28 days from now again.

Baby rats are terribly hard to find homes for. Start advertising now, and hope you get at least 1/2 of them homes...

Do basic research on rats and their care. That you kept them together and didn't know they would breed shows a lack of knowledge. I'm not trying to be mean, it's the plain truth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Firstly congrats on your litter!! Did you not realise one of your rats was a boy? Like CapriceCritters said you need to up mummas protein so anything like scrambled eggs,cheese,cat food etc will do her the world of good whilst she is nursing!
9 is relatively small lol both of my mumma rats had 12 pups each!!! You will have to go careful with mumma rat coz she might get a bit nasty towards you whilst she is nursing her babies they tend to get very protective!!! Try and sneak a peek daily to make sure babies have white milk bands in their tummies this tells you they are being fed well! You will need to sex the babies and seperate the males from females at 6 weeks of age or a couple days before to prevent any more litters!!! I hope they grow well and i hope we are gonna get pictures lol xx

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!

Tags
baby rats