Need help with surprise mouse pregnancy... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Need help with surprise mouse pregnancy...

I just got this pretty girl about a week ago, and she's pregnant (I'm fairly sure) and I just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this situation. I'm putting yogurt into her diet, and she's alone in her tank. The tank is in a quiet place. Should I remove her wheel? Any other advice?

She's pear-shaped, and has a bulge in her belly that you can see better from underneath (the second pic is the closest I could get to that):

The babies should be very pretty - her coloring is beautiful. At least some of the babies should be foxes.

Oh, and of course I will keep any babies that I can't find a situable home for, so they will be well cared for

In my house:
My fiance, Adam
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pets:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kiara (5 years), Tifa and Willow (1 year)

Girls: Chase

Boy mice: Reese, Darwin, Scabbers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 05:08 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aww good luck, i wouldnt think the wheel would be a problem right now... i would probably take it out when she has them and they start wiggling around alot and could get hurt... do you have a nice nesting box for her to have them in?

[/CENTER]

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle
aww good luck, i wouldnt think the wheel would be a problem right now... i would probably take it out when she has them and they start wiggling around alot and could get hurt... do you have a nice nesting box for her to have them in?
Yep, I put nesting box in already

In my house:
My fiance, Adam

My pets:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 09:32 PM
RAT ADDICT

From my experiance,your mouse is pregnant! I have had several pregnant mice and raised several mouse pups!

The wheel is okay for now,but maybe for the first few days after the babies are born,remove it.

Also make sure she gets extra proteins and stuff in her diet now and while nursing!You can give her a little bit of chicken or cheese,even a tiny drop of milk.Just make sure she gets extra nutrients.

Offer nesting materials,like tissues and even a bit of fleece.

She is a gorgeous mouse,I used to have foxes a long time ago.Good luck!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

wow, she can have up to 29 mice, but most likely it will be around ten or so, be prepared for a lot though, you never know...also remember that when they are 5wks old you must sex them and immediately separate them or you will have another pregnancy

other than that, good luck to you, if you decide to keep them try to have the males together and hopefully they will get along and you wont need to find separate cages for them, make sure the pregnant mom is getting extra protein

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

If anyone is located in western PA and would like any of these future cuties, let me know - [email protected]. Like I said, I'll take good care of the ones I can't find homes for, but I can give more attention to less mice. I'm going back to the pet store now to find out who the daddy is. One of the employees is a breeder, and she'll know.

In my house:
My fiance, Adam

My pets:

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

The father is a gorgeous satin white

In my house:
My fiance, Adam

My pets:

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Part of the Pack

Give her lots of nesting materials! I use shredded tissue. Also, dont pickup or touch the babies until the 3rd day.

My zoo:
The rats: London, Remmy, Butterfly, and Arabella
The guinea pigs: Victor, Augustus, and baby Milo
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Oily Chickenspew

yay! can't wait to see

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

one of the employee's is a breeder and sold you a mouse that was pregnent with out telling you? or knowing?

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle
one of the employee's is a breeder and sold you a mouse that was pregnent with out telling you? or knowing?
She said there was a chance, but I wasn't sure until now. Of course, I've done some research, but I thought I'd check with you experienced people to see if there was anything I missed

In my house:
My fiance, Adam

My pets:

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
From my experiance,your mouse is pregnant! I have had several pregnant mice and raised several mouse pups!

The wheel is okay for now,but maybe for the first few days after the babies are born,remove it.

Also make sure she gets extra proteins and stuff in her diet now and while nursing!You can give her a little bit of chicken or cheese,even a tiny drop of milk.Just make sure she gets extra nutrients.

Offer nesting materials,like tissues and even a bit of fleece.

She is a gorgeous mouse,I used to have foxes a long time ago.Good luck!!
I've been giving her vitamins and high-protein milkbones. Thanks!

In my house:
My fiance, Adam

My pets:

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

ok neato, good luck with the babes, the lady at the store will probably help you with anything you need, and if you dont have much experience i would take them to her to sex them when they are old enough

[/CENTER]

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Good luck with your mouse I hope everything goes well for you!

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel_baby
Good luck with your mouse I hope everything goes well for you!
Thanks! How could it not with sweet baby mice It's not her first litter, she had others when she was with the breeder, so she should be ok.

In my house:
My fiance, Adam

My pets:

Tags
baby mice, baby rats, males together, nesting material, pet store, separate cages