Neutered rat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Neutered rat

I got my pretty little blue dumbo boy neutered yesterday...And let me tell you, he's put up a fuss about it. Now I'm concerned by the look of it.

Now...He's got that pretty little cone on his head because he chewed open the wound to the point where all I could see was blood. After rushing him back to the vet they stuck the e collar on him (which is one thing he is FURIOUS about, poor boy, but only 4 more days and he can have it off). Now I'm a moron, apparently. The vet tech showed me his incision site BEFORE he tore into it so I'd remember what it looked like, but I didn't check after to see the change until late last night and it looked like this...which didn't worry me at first, because I know he hasn't touched it and there's nothing in his cage that he could do that on, but now I'm wondering if I SHOULD be worried. She told me he should heal nicely though. I don't want to keep showing up being a paranoid twit or anything (though, considering I just lost two rats in a row I AM a tad jumpy I suppose), because this doesn't look TOO different from how I remember it being originally. But the center of it looks painful to me. Think I should show our pretty faces at the vet's office again? They did love my little Liam very much after all. But still, if it's nothing out of the ordinary (well, considering how he's already torn into it), then I don't want to waste their time. He doesn't seem to be in any pain or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Wow! ! !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 11:12 PM

Ouch! I'm sorry to hear of your troublesome little boy. Well, me being the paranoid freak about my animals too, I would bring him in, who cares if they think you're crazy. I've never had a rat do that to their surgery before, so I really don't know for sure if that is normal! If anything, just call your vet and see what they think about you bringing him in or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 05:39 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

A few questions before I answer yours.

1) Has your vet done many rat neuters before?

2) Did they send you home with oral pain meds for after the initial pain med injections given during the surgery wore off?

Yes that is nasty. You need to take him back.

Here are good incisions

and not so good incisions (bad new vet, he overanesthetized my older boys and I almost lost one)

Yours needs to be taken care of since it looks like some of the tissue has gone necrotic. You may need an antibiotic for him. Btw my rats all get internal dissolvable stitches and glue to close the top layers. I have only had one rat try to rip it open (her's was a massive multiple tumor removal down the side) so pain meds may be all thats needed in the future.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Rodentologist

Is he on pain medication? I very rarely see rats chew neuter incisions like that unless they're in pain.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 03:13 PM

I'd take him back to the Vet or maybe find a new one. That incision looks extremely painful.

Tags
male, neutered