New Addition - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

New Addition

Hey Gang, I'm back, School has been keeping me busy. plus there is five of us that fight over computer time.

Well i just wanted to anounce that my daughter and I picked up two new mice. Males we are currently keeping them in a twenty high tank, we shall see how they do. I have been reading a lot about the little critters. Happy tails are here again.

Korey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

How sweet I love mice they are so cute. Can you post pictures of them?
Daimond

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

I will surley try tommorow. If I have a high aquarim what kind of toys can I get since I cnat dangle anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Welcome Back! Since you have a high tank you can suction cup on hammocks and make ramps to lead up the walls. Toys that you can hang down are those baby link chains and they make these 'kritter kabobs' and they hang down and are full of chews and treats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Ok I can see this getting out of control I have so many Ideas I think I need a bigger cage already. I think I will use those nice sticker hooks by 3m and fasten a NIC cube square slightly bent to hang a rope for them to climb and a hammok for them to sit on if they will. They were not to thrilled with the cozy ( I learned how to spell) Idea. they do howeer love toilet pape rolls and paper towel rolles. One of the little guys was scared of the large paper towel roll. I hope they get used to us soon they were the friendliest ones there adn now they run like they don't know what to do. Thanks for the feedback.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

You might want to get a spare tank if you don't already because male mice are very territorial and almost always fight to the point where they need to be separated.
If you are wanting more space for them at martinscages you can get 20 gallon tank toppers and they can customize them too.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

I kinda knew about the fighting thing, but couldn't remember which sex did that. The guy at the PS told me, Oh they are social and need friends. Sad thing is they had a pair of girls that a family surendered due to moving and becuase they were two years old, we decided to go with little guys that would be around for a while. Wel now its our job of takign care of them and making sure they are healthy. Thank you for the input feel free to give me more if you all think about it.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 09:25 AM
RAT ADDICT

Congrats on the newbies!

Yes,if they start fighting and there is bloodshed,they will need to be seperated.Male mice will often fight to the death!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Adolescent Pup

I have resisted the temptation to get a male pal for Winston since I am so afraid of them getting hurt, I'd be interested to know how having two males works out for you. Winston sometimes seems lonely, he chunters to himself and squeaks a lot when he is playing but I hang out with him a lot to make sure he is not too sad. I am thinking about introducing a female to him as I have two cages so could separate the males and females after the birth, but not sure if this is a good thing to do yet. Mice are so overpopulated I don't want to cause harm by bringing even more into the world. Maybe I should just adopt some girls and have them in the other cage?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Well at this point these my two guys are inseperable the sleep and play together very well. They are still pretty young so we shall see. I'm trying to build enough stuff for them to play to keep them busy so they do not fight. I have read that females are very social and like companions but an already asstablished male make not take it so well. Good luck I'm learning as well as you thanks for joining in. We'll have to see what the locals have to say.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 11:05 AM
RAT ADDICT

No,do not breed.There is alot more to breeding then sticking a male and female together.You need to research it.

There is a GOOD chance your mouse will not accept another male.Males rarely accept other males.Even littermates growing up together don't always get along.Trust me.You could always get another male and try intros...and if it don't work out,have a spare cage.

Male mice are actually quite fine on their own,they are not social like females.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

Here are the little guys...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Yea, it worked I am so stoked. the pics are not the best but the the two mice are hard to catch on film they are not exactly posers. Their names are Lucky and Dizzy. The pink thing you see is a cozy. I made out of a fleece sweatshirt sleave. I used a wire tie in the hym to keep the opening open. and then hand stiched the back to seal it off. they absolutly love it. of course the log cabin is a favorite as well. So, sugestions, comments????
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Cute! They look cozy in their cozy

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

yes, they love it and snuggle very close in it. I was pleased to see them actualy use it because it took them an entire day adn half to even walk next to it.

Tags
mice