New baby ratties...tricks for socializing? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Question New baby ratties...tricks for socializing?

Well, I just got my baby boys--Russell and Stanley--yesterday! They look and sound like they're in great health, and the place I got them from is a reputable small animal breeder, so everything should be good. The only problem is that they are both young (only just turned five weeks old) and still very skittish. Russell had a good romp around the living room today--with me chasing him unsuccessfully--for about a half hour. (I now know all the potential hiding spots and am working on eliminating them!!!)

I guess I'll try the bathtub later today, just to make sure they can't escape. Does anyone else have any other tried and true methods of getting rats used to you? (I am also making sure to spend time near their cage talking to them, and petting them while they are in their cage off and on.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 08:34 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

My best trick is to take them out individually and shove them inside a sweatshirt that you are wearing. They will crawl around and get used to you and your smell, hopefully learning to feel safe with you. Try sitting on a chair or somewhere else that doesn't give them a lot of other places to go. Give them treats when they pop their little heads out and be prepared to get peed or pooped on.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks for this idea! I'll dig out some old clothes and try it later today! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Well, I just had them in the bathtub for a while and they actually did really well! They were climbing all over me (really fast and squirmy, but at least they weren't afraid of my hand!), and even played tug of war with a handkerchief. They got pretty hyper near the end, so I put them back in their cage and gave them a grape as a treat. I'm going to keep trying this a couple of times over the next few days, and hopefully they'll get used to being handled soon.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

They are young so they should warm up very quickly. It's harder when they are older. Try making a particular sound, or saying a particular word repeatedly when you give them treats and they will probably learn to come to you when you call.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats