New Cage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

New Cage

Just ordered a custom cage from Martin's! My older boys have problems with their back feet and are having trouble getting up and down ramps these days. Plus Phineas is tilty so it's just that much more difficult for him. So, I ordered a single level cage for them with the biggest base that Martin's offers: 30"x36". It's going to take 4-6 weeks to arrive so I suppose it will be their Christmas gift. Lots of floor space for old ratties but no shelves/ramps to fall off. Yay!

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yay! Merry Christmas Spoiled Rattie Boys!
I really do love Martin's cages! And they really don't charge much more for a custom order, I especially love that!!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Oh thats great! They will be so happy! I can't wait to see it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

The cage is here!!

Here is the cage with the ramp and balcony

And here's what it looked like after I folded up the balcony against the wall. It's not in the way at all.

Here is the ramp held up to the ceiling part. I used zip ties to secure it all.

This is the set up. Note the awesome bear fleece I just bought for them.

Another view

Here's Phineas

And Shiloh

Maureen

Six new rats
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

They look snugglie as buggies in rugs!! I like the flip top lid!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 12:56 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Wow the cage looks really nice!! Perfect for the old men!!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 06:33 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Martins has the most awesome cages!

I bought one for my new soon-to-be-mine ratties. I didn't go custom though, I just bought one of their standard cages. Side squee: They were born this week! I can't wait to bring them home in January.

Your set up is nice!

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 09:45 AM
RAT ADDICT

What a great Christmas "pressie" for your boys!!! I am sure they appreciate it!

I wanted to get a new cage for my boys too,but it is going to have to wait until after Christmas,oh well.I ordered Martin's before,but NEVER had one custom made,maybe I will try that next time I order.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Do they come with tops and bottoms and insted of wire leavels can I get plastic? Also how would I be able to get mine to stop chewing the plastic levels. They have lots of chew treats and stuff, but like the leavls better.
What you want them to chew on they never do and what you dont want them to chew on they do. LOL.
Diamond

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Diamond, I got a Martin's cage. They have some great stuff. From what I saw, they didn't offer plastic levels or plastic tops. It was wire only with a plastic base. They offered powder coated and non powder coated. I paid the 10 dollars extra for powder coated as I've been told it lasts so much longer.

I'm sure you could purchase an extra plastic base and affix it to the tops with a little fancy drill work and zip ties, or even the spring clamps included to secure the plastic base.

I have seen many people purchase felt scraps in bulk from fabric stores and cut them to size to provide a soft and solid surface over the wire levels. That's what I'm doing with mine. It seems like it would make spot cleaning easier as well, since all you'd do is throw a load of soiled felt into the wash every 2-4 days.

I'm speaking purely as a greenhorn, as I'm still on the wait list for my first pair of rats ever. But in scouring the internet, I have seen a couple of different folks praise Bitter Apple as an effective and safe chew deterrent while others have touted plain old lemon juice, though they were speaking of protecting baseboards in your home rather than in the rat's living quarters.

You might want to look into that and double check the safety of it if it's going to be where they live. Any other experts here can feel free to correct me as well. I'm still learning.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 12-11-2009 at 10:35 PM. Reason: added a comment
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

lemon juice wouldn't work for my rat, haha. I once had a piece of lemon in my plate for my shrimps and she stole it and started eating the pulp! I quickly stopped her though.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 03:58 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Even a wire top like ferret cages have the top wire and the plastic bottom. Also my rats seem to like the chew and the tast of felt so I had some old swet pants that I got tired of patching up that I cute and rigged up as hammicks and they dont seem to chew on them. I tryed dog and cat bitter bitter and my rats it dont faze them. lol.
I like the cages but would like one with a top not only becuase I have other pets but dont want them to get out and get hurt or chew on cords. BUt even if I didnt have other pets I would feel safer with a top on their cage becuase this way when I am out or not in the room I know they are safe in there cage. do you think martins has something for G-pigs? I know i can make my own easly and get a plasitc bottom for it but some thing were my pigs have leavels as well only pig safe so they dont fall of like built up ramp and leave sides? There is or the males are in the small cage the small girls were in cuase the girls need room there prego but I have colored meatel things that you put or snape to gether with little plasitc clips. I find them in the kids section or home section there used for to make shelves or crates to put stuff in and I have a huge one done up that the pigs go in threw out the day with a sald and toys although I cant move the girls now or pick them up (to far along being prego) which makes it a pain in the butt herding them out of the cage in to a carrier to clean.
I like coating on a cage helps keep it from rusting and dose last longer. But if the rats chew on the bars is that ok will it hurt them if they ingest it. I know the cages I have that are powder coated and the rats like to chew it off.
Diamond

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.

Tags
cage, rats