Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

New cage i made

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Samantha 
#1 ·
Here it is. 4 hours and $45 :D they think its great

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Wow! That is an awesome cage! In rat specs, it would be like a mansion! (mine would be jealous! lol) How did you do it? I noticed your other thread earlier. I also plan on revamping my ratties cage, right now they live in this sweaty ten gallon tank. They used to have a nice cage (nothing like yours, more of a large birdie cage) and two of my ratties got killed by a weasel who snuck into my upstairs room while I was at work. (apparently they are rampant in my area, something I wasn't aware of before) You've given me hope. When my fiance and I move, (somewhere less weasel accessible) perhaps I can make a ratty haven too. Great job! :)

#9 · (Edited)
Nice cage! I have some questions actually if ya don't mind :D.

Where'd you get flat wire mesh? The only thing I can find at both home depot and lowes is this green, rolled up mesh that is really hard to pound out into a flat sheet. Second, where do you get those door clips? I have the same one on my Martins cage and have noticed them on some other custom-made and in-store cages as well. Do they have a specific name? Thanks!

Ooh one more question haha -- what's the spacing on the wire mesh? 1/2" x 1/2"?

#10 ·
I got mine at norbys farm and fleet, the mesh is either hardware cloth or cage mesh (i think its cage mesh because it was 3 foot tall..) the latches are in the bunny cage stuff, in a farm fleet place (mills, blaines, norbys.. im not sure but maybe tractor supply) as for making a cage weasle proof (poor babies) the wire comes in diffrent thickness and hole size, you can also buy really thick wire (like 12 gage or even 8 gage) and make a frame then put on the wire to make it less flimsy, i also got the bottom tub at norbys in the horse and live stock waterer section.. (also normally where the bunny stuff is) in the bunny section you should be able to find tons of stuff to make a good rat cage.. cheaper huts and water bottles and things like that... and yep it is 1/2 by 1/2 it also comes in 1/4 and 1/2 by 1 and 1x1 and so on... other than that you dont need much else, thicker wire is more expencive... and if you get stuff that is chicken or rabbit (in bolk) is much cheaper because its livestock and not pets.. other wise other than time its alot cheaper... make sure you get tin snips though and good wire cutters to make the sharp edges go away... (we ground some down with a grinder and folded the edges on everything)

GOOD LUCK

#11 ·
Kendalle said:
I got mine at norbys farm and fleet, the mesh is either hardware cloth or cage mesh (i think its cage mesh because it was 3 foot tall..) the latches are in the bunny cage stuff, in a farm fleet place (mills, blaines, norbys.. im not sure but maybe tractor supply) as for making a cage weasle proof (poor babies) the wire comes in diffrent thickness and hole size, you can also buy really thick wire (like 12 gage or even 8 gage) and make a frame then put on the wire to make it less flimsy, i also got the bottom tub at norbys in the horse and live stock waterer section.. (also normally where the bunny stuff is) in the bunny section you should be able to find tons of stuff to make a good rat cage.. cheaper huts and water bottles and things like that... and yep it is 1/2 by 1/2 it also comes in 1/4 and 1/2 by 1 and 1x1 and so on... other than that you dont need much else, thicker wire is more expencive... and if you get stuff that is chicken or rabbit (in bolk) is much cheaper because its livestock and not pets.. other wise other than time its alot cheaper... make sure you get tin snips though and good wire cutters to make the sharp edges go away... (we ground some down with a grinder and folded the edges on everything)

GOOD LUCK
Thanks for the info...unfortunately I don't think we have any farm fleet stores in the area here...only hardware stores ;[. It's good to know that you too have to cut the wire and then grind/sand it down. I usually use my dremel rotary tool and sand down wire mesh after cutting...just takes so long to cut it and grind it. I guess I'll stick to using the mesh that comes in a roll...straightening it out is such a hassle though. Thanks!

#12 ·
this came in a roll too, you woundt have to grind it down if you had good wire cutters, but we had tin snips that dont get as close to the edges as wire cutters you might be able to order on line and im not sure on there delivery fees :) we only ground the door spot and im sure if you wanted you could just bend it instead

#13 ·
how do you flatten the wire messes that come in rolls? mine never seem to get flat enough

#15 ·
:) i didnt flatten it we just connected them and as you go around it looks really flimsy and it bends in but when you add the shelves and top and connect it to the bottom (mines actually not conected but bent over so i can easily lift it off) if you connect the shelves in enough places it will force the sides straight with no bending

#16 ·
ohhh...wow, really worked out nicely

#17 ·
can you make one for me? Put the top attached to the back, the middle not attached to anything, the shelves and ramps attached to the opposite sides. flatten it, ship it, and I'll put it together and worry about the base, and use pvc coated hardware cloth? dimensions 24x18x30 would be great.......j/k......unless you want to ;) lol.

That looks awesome, wish I could do something like that.

#19 ·
thinking I can do......calculations.....not so much, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.