New Experiment - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

New Experiment

Well, I've always wanted free-roam rats...so I'm slowly starting to give them a bit more freedom. I basically removed the cage itself from the bottom tub and put all their normal hiding places around. The cage sitting there on the table is actually my hamster's cage...he's free roam too(all around my room, on the floor) but during the day I just put him in that tiny cage so he can sleep. At night I put that cage on the floor and the igloo and other hidey place come down onto the table. Anyways...this setup seems to really be workout out well. I trust my rats not to jump off the table -- they're too scared.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 02:49 PM
Playful Pup

That's neat..

My fuzzies~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1 black& white tomcat Buddy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1 pandabear hamster Panda

2 Sheltie dogs Sakura and Sasuke

I will miss you always..

R.I.P. Tommy my first cat. you were more than just a cat to me. I will never forget you. 20/09/04
R.I.P Minnie my fancy mouse. your babies never got a chance to really meet you.. 30/03/07
R.I.P Mickey my fancy mouse. 03/04/07
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 03:03 PM
Title Thief Victim

that's neat..but I would be scared lol..but that's me. Good luck with it!

Carissasaurus Rex

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 03:39 PM

I'd be concerned about the possibility of them getting into power cords, or finding their way out of their 'territory,' or meeting up with any resident predators like dogs/cats/ferrets...
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Yea I figure if they jump off the table during the night or something my door is closed, so they'll be fine. Probably just poop everywhere.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

...heheh then in the morning when you come out of your room....squish, squish, squish..poop..between your toes...haha!
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 07:02 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

What about the hamster? Are you worried about that?

I keep my cage open and they have a bookshelf beside the cage they climb onto and sleep. There is also a cage on top of their main cage then a hidey house on top of that. It's been like this for months and they've never climbed down the outside of the cage to the floor. The worse thing they ever did was chew up the pull string for the blinds.

*Missy*
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Not worried about the hamster...he sleeps during the day and he's not irritated by the rats. He knows them well actually...I keep a watchful eye at all times though.

The power cord thing is taken care of, after all...I have ferrets. Things are all hooked up to surge protectors which can be unplugged, and other plugs/cords which lead upwards onto desks are too high for the rats to reach. Three plugs pulled out of the wall and my room is electric cord free.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 11:39 PM
RAT ADDICT

So if the rats fell off the table,what about that?

I sometimes set this HUGE table I have up for them,like a gym...however my hairless rats seem to fall off alot and I have had young rats fall off it.Normally they don't go to the edge tho,but you never know!

Good luck with that anyway...hopefully it will work!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

They'll be fine, I guarantee it =].

Hahahaha okay cya all
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 12:32 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Thats pretty cool, I 'm hoping to have a nice huge rat room (or 4 lol) in the futur . Still working out clean up and what not.

My Kids:6
, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 12:37 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

neato, i couldnt have my rats on a table they just jump off, one even trys to jump up the wall and hits her face on it. mine would get hurt

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 12:53 AM
Oily Chickenspew

good luck

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle
neato, i couldnt have my rats on a table they just jump off, one even trys to jump up the wall and hits her face on it. mine would get hurt
That's very interesting...in all the rats I've worked with(my 14 over the years and my friend's 5) none have ever wanted to jump off the table. Ever! Two of his albinos fell off the table a couple of times though haha, trying to edge towards a bag of food that was on an adjacent, nearby table. They were fine though, rodents are amazing at taking a couple of falls =].
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 09:29 PM
RAT ADDICT

Same with me...I never had a rat or knew of any rats that would do that!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
hairless rat, hairless rats, pet owner