new to forum... and new baby rats at home... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Question new to forum... and new baby rats at home...

Hi guys... I'm new to the forum, so pardon me if I say or do anything silly.

I am not new to rodents though, as I've had mice before throughout my life.

What I am is new to rats... and I just got home with two boys from the pet shop. I (for now) am calling the tan hooded one "Dante" and the agouri hooded "Fausto" until I can find better names... or actually keep these... anyway...I (and someone else) believe that they are actually being sold as feeder rats... but I could not help myself from taking two home, since I had been looking for some pet rats for a few years now to no avail. There are no "pet" rat breeders anywhere in my region (Puerto Rico). I decided to take my chances.

Now, I have 2 questions someone might be able to help me with:

Dante was very curious about his new home as soon as he got home. He was scared, but did not restrain from looking around. He has, since his arrival this afternoon, had some food, water and a snack. Fausto on the other hand seemed extremely scared. He did not care to investigate anything, has spent most of the time eather sleeping or just sitting there scared. I have not seen him eating or drinking (allthough I have not been watching ALL the time). I am afraid he might be sick and I did not notice this before I brought him home. It is probably best to just keep an eye on him to see if his attitude changes... but I'm wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences like this?

My second question is in regards to both of them. I thought rats where more active during the night time... but now both these critters are sleeping... Dante was much more active during the afternoon than he is now...

should I be concerned?????

kindly,
"folknn" = Nina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 10:54 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

They sound fine. They're just getting used to their new surroundings, and so for a few days they will probably be a little cautious. When I brought my rats home, they just sat next to each other in a corner, not sleeping, eating, or drinking. The next day they would occasionally come out of the corner and walk around a bit, but it took them a while to get comfortable and start eating/drinking normally.

They are generally more active at night, but it does vary. Both of my rats are basically active all day, taking naps here and there. It's nothing to worry about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Those are comforting words, THANK YOU!

I am calming down a bit. I peeked at them a couple of times during the night. They seemed to be sleeping next to eachother most of the time... but at times the agouri hooded one (the one that wasn't moving at all) seemed alert as he kept himself busy cleaning and washing himself. I'm sure they are ok and I'm just being a paranoid new mother.

Tags
pet rats, pet shop