New to having a pet rat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

New to having a pet rat

I have a rat that lived a whole week with a python. I didn't have the heart to get rid of him, which might not make much sense to some since I put him in there. Anyway, He is a pet now, I was just reading that you can teach them things and they are very smart. He starting to not be so afraid now but still a bit nervous. How can I make him not so nervous and should I get him a cage mate? I want to get him a better cage any suggestions? Right now he is exploring my computer room, I'm trying to get him to come to me with cheerios. He will but will run after a second.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 06:43 AM
Will It Ever Change?

well, for cages, the bigger the better. for taming, what you're doing is good, but if he won't bite when you pick him up, then pick him up lots, and he'll warm up to you quickly. rats are social and love attention and interaction. a cage mate is a good idea. getting a young baby rat helps the introduction process, the adults see it's a baby and they don't feel as threatened by them. as for running away, with my boy, the very second i give him a treat he runs to a 'safe place' to eat it, it's a rat thing

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 07:15 AM

First, it would be safer to feed your snack prekilled/frozen but as for the rat, Handle him as much as possible, he will be skittish and scared but the more attension, the better.

Definatly get him a cage mate, rats are highly social
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, At first I thought it was cool to watch her eat but after making Ratty my pet I'm having second thoughts on live feeders. I'm going to go out cage hunting today, also I found out pine is not good for him. Any suggestions on the best bedding? Can you really give them tissue and stuff to make nest out of?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 12:35 PM

best bedding is carefresh. I have a snake that eats frozen and he doesnt mind. Also, try and find the ratty a friend and take him to the vet to check for parasites that most feeders carry, like lice and mites, easy fix but you need the vet to prescribe
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

I know did that already, he did have them. I got this powder to mix in the bedding from the vet. Mixed in for about a week and it took care of it. No matter what kind of animal I do decide to keep I always try to do the best for them. I went out today and got a Blue rat, they went at it for a bit is this normal? I'm worried I have to take the new guy back
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 08:42 PM
RAT ADDICT

Pine and cedar is a no-no!
Aspen,carefresh and Yesterdays News are all safe choices.I personally am not a fan of carefresh.I use aspen and YN mixed.

Also he needs a buddy.Rats are highly social animals and need rat companionship.They do bond with their owners as well.Just get him used to your voice and scent and keep handling him and in no time,he will be used to you.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

I got him one and he just beat mine up alot. So I got him a smaller one they seem do be just doing fine.

Tags
cage mate, doing fine, social animals