Photos! New litter! PEW X Burmese - Page 5 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I understand most of you dont like the fact that I cull and thats fine, but I dont need you to flame me for what I do and to get off subject of my post.

1 Amazing Husband
1 Beautiful daughter
3 dogs, 2 Ferrets, 1 cat, 2 Doves 30+ fancy mice,4 turtles,
1 house bunny,55 gallon fish tank
& rescues

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Rodentologist

Disagreeing with something that you do is not "flaming" you. This is a discussion forum. If you don't want people to comment on your posts, you should start a persona journal.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #63 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I know this is a discussion forum (Im on several) and I know whats it for, but some people have taking it from Disagreeing to flaming.
I WANT people to comment on my post, which is why I make them

1 Amazing Husband
1 Beautiful daughter
3 dogs, 2 Ferrets, 1 cat, 2 Doves 30+ fancy mice,4 turtles,
1 house bunny,55 gallon fish tank
& rescues

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 02:22 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am not even bothering to get into this debate.But I did wanna comment on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossa View Post
Your girls are cute. Not that I feel in any way qualified to join this argument as I don't breed but I am on the side of the boy mousies! I have a male mouse and he doesn't smell bad at all! I clean him once every 3 days which is normal routine cleaning and I can never smell ammonia from his cage. He is an absolute delight and a very bright and inquisitive mousie who loves to play with me. I would definitely consider males again. I think if you clean your mice as often as you should odour is not a problem male or female. Perhaps males are less popular because people are told males smell bad when in fact, they don't. Sure they spray more but as long as they are looked after they smell great. Winston Shiny-Sides spends at least 2 hours a day grooming. He is a very clean boy.
Male mice do smell really bad and it is not just a myth.I will no longer keep male mice,because even one can clear a room.I usually do not use tanks for mice,I use hamster cages with bars if the mice are bigger and even though the cages are well ventilated and even keeping up with cleaning,the males stink.Everyone I know around here who has/had male mice agree.I personally cannot handle it and won't bother keeping males again.

I think it is great your boy doesn't smell,but not everyone is lucky.

As for rats,Jennicat it is different where you are then...because here people prefer male rats over females.The male rats at the rescue have been quicker to find homes then the females.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #65 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
As for rats,Jennicat it is different where you are then...because here people prefer male rats over females.The male rats at the rescue have been quicker to find homes then the females.

I had a rescue litter in February. It had 6 girls and 7 boys. I took in two more baby girls and three more baby boys (from shelters) and integrated the groups. Out of 8 girls and 10 boys, I now have 5 girls and 6 boys left. They are all spayed and neutered and have a $30 adoption fee. Of those adoptions, one of our repeat rat ladies adopted 3 of the girls, and one of the repeat rat ladies adopted 2 of the boys.

It's tough to adopt small exotics in general. The difference is I don't kill whatever is tough to rehome because I knew going into it that they'd be tough to rehome or were stinky or that the wind was blowing south, or whatever else other people come up with as good reasons to shirk their responsibilities.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #66 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 02:06 PM
RAT ADDICT

Hmmm,well it must be different there.Cause here everyone seems to want males.Now PEW's,black rats and Siamese/Himi rats are not quick to be adopted usually,but with the rescue the males go faster then the females.I guess it is different everywhere.

I have 5 foster rats right now though (4 males and a pregnant female) and there has been no interest in any of them yet...not even in the young which are not born yet.

But yeah,small animals are generally hard to place altogether here.The small animal rescue here is especially overrun with rabbits.

* Lisa *

post #67 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Rodentologist

PEWs, black rats, and siamaese/himis are the most common rats in rescue. That's like telling a dog rescue that dogs are very adoptable, except for labs, goldens, and GSDs.

In the past 3 years we've only had a few rats that weren't PEWs, black, or siamese. They were fawn hoods and one of the four got adopted.

post #68 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 07:56 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am involved in dog and small animal rescue,I am quite aware how they work and not all rescues are the same.

* Lisa *

post #69 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Rodentologist

How do the difference in rescue change what are popular colors and what are hard to adopt out? You just said that the same colors we can barely adopt out are also not adoptable there???

post #70 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 08:02 PM
RAT ADDICT

Are you looking to argue with me? Cause I am not going to argue with you,since you are on a power trip.

You said male rats were hard to adopt out and I told you that here they are not.Male rats are quite easy to place here,easier then females and we do get hoodeds as well.

Also many rescues are different in the ways they do things and contracts and stuff,but that is irrelevant.I was saying that male rats are easy to place.Male mice on the other hand are hard to place,but there is a different in those animals...

* Lisa *

post #71 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Rodentologist

I'm not trying to argue, but I didn't understand that paragraph at all. It was confusing me that you stated all rescues were different but then said you had exactly the same difficulties placing all the same colors that we did.

post #72 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 08:10 PM
RAT ADDICT

Oh,well I am not always the best at explaining things.
I simply meant on a male/female basis...you mentioned males were hard to place there and here males are easy to place,so I was only trying to say that first.

I mentioned the color thing afterwards.Blacks,PEW's and himis and Siamese are generally harder to place then say a hooded or a blue.But I was not talking about color,or I didn't mean to...I was talking sex.

But I am done here anyway,I am tired and not focusing well right now.

* Lisa *

post #73 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
Oh,well I am not always the best at explaining things.
I simply meant on a male/female basis...you mentioned males were hard to place there and here males are easy to place,so I was only trying to say that first.

I mentioned the color thing afterwards.Blacks,PEW's and himis and Siamese are generally harder to place then say a hooded or a blue.But I was not talking about color,or I didn't mean to...I was talking sex.
Rats in general are not that easy to place, agree. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that enough males are hormonally aggressive and few people feel like neutering them so the belief gets passed around that male rats aren't social.

post #74 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 08:47 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
Rats in general are not that easy to place, agree. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that enough males are hormonally aggressive and few people feel like neutering them so the belief gets passed around that male rats aren't social.
Yeah,many people always ask me if my males are aggressive because they "heard" that males can be aggressive.However in all my years of having male rats I only ever had ONE who was/is aggressive and that is my foster Vladimir who I have now.

* Lisa *

post #75 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Rodentologist

I've still never had a hormonally aggressive male, but I know that it can happen. Of course, we hear the same thing about male guinea pigs, who live together fine. On the opposite end of the spectrum are the people who insist syrian hamsters are lonely.

Tags
babies, burmese, litter, mice