new and looking - Page 4 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! We are going to get them tomorrow =] I CAN'T WAIT!! I am so excited and mom said I am crazy for wanting rats haha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 05:06 PM

Welcome to PawTalk!! I love horses, can you post a picture of your horse that you have for sale? I have two registered Paint mares now and I just love them. How come you are getting rid of your horse?
post #48 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the welcome, she is for sale because I have only been riding 2 years and 3 months and cant break a horse =] here is a picture:
look at bottom of post

Okay for dementions...it is 16 inchs wide and 22 inchs tall. And the space between the bars are no more then 1/2 inch apart. Now I have a question about this litter. I baught this for my hamster that died from hamster cancer RIP tons of names hammie sorry he had alot of names from milky to peanut to pety anyway it is called Small Animal Chlorophyll Litter..it says onl the back "The texture of AlfaPet's Litter is unique, as it is made from a specially blended formula of wood shavings and special pellets which are a natural source of chlorophyll." and here are pictures of it: Now my question is......Is it safe enough to use to get home? We are going there first and then petsmart to get there food and litter and we cant put them in the cage without litter so can we use this until we get home and put in there Aspen OR Carefresh litter?

Okay question about the cage...are the kleenex boxes supose to be inside or outside of cage? I put mine inside and it looks cramped. If it gets too cluttered for 2 ratties I have another cage one of my ratties can live in until I get my topper for my fish tank here are pictures of that:
16 inches wide, 22 inchs tall

or is this OK?(there water bottle and feed bowl is soaking..I am using my hamsters old one, if that is okay? it wont get my ratties sick will it? because I think he died from hammie cancer but I am not sure. it might of been old age??)

and pictures of darn horse I need to sell ASAP!!

want her? LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 06:49 PM
RAT ADDICT

The tissue boxes stay in the cage.The rats will eventually have them chewed up anyway and flattened.You can add levels to the cage using wood (keep in mind pee soaks into wood).

Once there are shelves in the cage,it won't look as cramped,because they will have levels to go on.

I wouldn't seperate them as they are bonded and it would stress them out to seperate them even temporarily and stress can often cause illness in rats.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #50 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Oh okay thanks Vanilla I didn't know that. Oh and I had to soak the water bottle in bleach to get the fungus off it. I rinsed it 10 times with hot water after..is it okay for my ratties to drink out of it tomorrow? If not what is a way to get it prepared for them tomorrow? And is those wood shavings good to get them home in? Oh and can I get my boys a little stuffed animal? Are there any that can hurt them? I know to get one with no plastic on it.

Last edited by manyjumps93; 04-24-2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: adding
post #51 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 08:32 PM

Congrats on the babies! You must post pictures tomorrow =D. Do you know which two you're getting?

About the cage, I may have missed it but are you planning on adding shelves? Seems like a waste to have a cage that tall with no shelves. Soooo~ I have another web page for you =D!

http://www.suzsugargliders.com/nosewaccessories.htm

I found this the other day by mistake. It has lots of toys you can make, hammocks, shelves, and best of all you don't have to sew anything. You can also use old t-shirts and stuff to make these with.

Oh, I just thought of something... The only problem you might run into with that cage is the rats might push the tray out and you'll end up with bedding everywhere. To be safe I would flip the cage around so the tray is in the back and against a wall, and the door is in the front. If that doesn't work -- tape. Gotta love duct tape and its billion uses.
post #52 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

I will use duck tape =] And thanks for the website I will make a little hammocks or something right now =D And I guess I will make shelves lol Oh and yes I do, I will be getting the beige hooded rattie(both in the picture are males) and one of the chocolate hooded ratties(there is only one male left, Just cant find him in the picture). and yes plenty of pictures tomorrow. And my friend might be staying the night so I will have fun with them. How long would you wait to take them out of the cage to 'cuddle' with them?

Last edited by manyjumps93; 04-24-2008 at 08:52 PM. Reason: forgot to say something
post #53 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 09:30 PM

I usually leave my ratties alone for the first night. They tend to be really scared and skittish. I'm sure you can understand why. The second day tho -- they are MINE lol. I will bring them out for 30 minutes at a time, put them in their cage for 5 or 10 minutes -- reduces chances of pottying on you, then bring them back out. Don't worry, you'll get used to being peed on >_>;. We all do. It's just little piddles =P.

I figured you might like the website. It gives you something to do for your ratties ^_^. I'm gonna make my two boys another hammock in a bit. Hammocks are surprisingly easy and fun to make. You could also use the no-sew pattern to sew together a hammock ((which defeats the purpose of "no-sew", but lasts longer)).
post #54 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 09:37 PM

I agree that you should add shelves to the cage, it will add more room. Good luck getting your rats!
post #55 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks and awh it looks awesome! I actually used an old t-shirt and didnt use clasp. I used the hangers you use for your christmas tree onaments with the points on the outside of the cage and covered with cloth =]. and I tied knots on the outside of the cage. I will make a new one once I buy some material and clasp that will be cheaper then a fish tank topper =]. But here are pictures.

there little ladder..I baught it for my birds but they never use it

took a picture of this...this is how much room is between the floor of there cage and the first step on the ladder...are they able to get on the 'shelf'?

I think it looks wonderful! so much more roomie LOL

tell me whatca think it is totally rattie safe I made sure. I covered all the points with the knots I tied PLUS extra cloth. OH and the bleue stuff on the ladder...is that OK for ratties? its for birds to walk on to help trim down there toe nails but I am so scared the rats will chew on it and it will be bad for them. I am not sure what it is...

Last edited by manyjumps93; 04-24-2008 at 09:44 PM. Reason: added question
post #56 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Please do not use the litter that you showed in the pictures! The bag is very vague about what is in the litter, but if you look up the patent number that they advertise, it states that there is pine in it.
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5884584.html

Pine and cedar are big no-nos for small animals.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #57 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:05 AM

I was kind of concerned about the bedding as well.. I don't use any kind of wood unless I know exactly what it is.

Since you're going to Petsmart anyways why not buy a small bag of aspen? Also look into getting a new water bottle. I missed something, but you wrote something about bleaching out a fungus? If the fungus comes back it could make your ratties sick. Water bottles are cheap so it'd probably be a better idea to get a new one. Better safe than sorry.

I love the shelf. You should bring down the latter a few notches and lay it at an angle against the bars rather than straight up and down. The ratties will be able to climb it better and will jump up onto the hammock shelf. You could also lower the shelf if they decide it's too far away and raise it again when they're bigger. Don't be upset if they don't use the latter or shelf right away -- sometimes they're not very adventurous at first.

Are you excited? =D
post #58 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 05:42 AM
RAT ADDICT

Today is the day!

I didn't say anything about the bedding as I didn't ever hear of that kind.But if it contains pine or cedar or any other softwood...DO NOT USE IT.They contain phenols which are harmful to small animals.

And don't use the water bottle.You will have to get a new one.They are pretty cheap in pet stores tho.

Yes,the rats will be able to get to the shelf.If they don't use the ladder,they will climb the bars of the cage to get to it.They LOVE climbing.

* Lisa *

post #59 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 06:46 AM
RAT ADDICT

I just thought you might wanna look at these cages for future.
They are good,roomy cages and many rat owners use them.I have one and love it.

http://martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/

* Lisa *

post #60 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Yep todays the day were about to leave(had to take out the shavings and clean it again and put some paper in it) we are getting the ratties from the humane soceity and we will be going to petsmart after to get the food and shavings.

Tags
animal care, carefresh bedding, dog food, emergency vet, fish tank, food bowl, guinea pig, hamster cage, hamster food, humane society, lab block, lab blocks, local humane society, male rat, male rats, pet owner, pet rats, pet store, pet store rats, pet stores, rat cage, rat food, seed mix, stuffed animal, sunflower seeds, vet care, wood shavings