new and looking - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Talking new and looking

Hi I am new to this site, I am a 14 year old girl that LOVES animals. Well right now I own 1 horse(for sale), 2 cats(1 indoor, 1 outdoor) and 2 parakeets. I am interested in owning a pet rat. I have owned hamsters before and even 1 guinea pig before. I am trying to find one but can't seem to find one that is free or cheap that comes with a cage and is free or cheap on shipping and one that can ship. Maybe you all can help me? I like in the US.(but I would like 2 rats because I dont want one to get lonly and I havnt found anyone with owning just one soo...)

Last edited by manyjumps93; 04-22-2008 at 12:58 PM. Reason: added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Two rats are definitely a much better idea. They will be much healthier and happier. Cheap rats are easy to find, even pedigree breeders like myself charge 15 or under per rat. Cheap cages are a bit more complicated, but you can usually find some on craigslist or ebay or freecycle or newspapers etc. One inexpensive way to go is a ten gallon tank with a tank topper.

The shipping is a problem. Unfortunately that's not up to the person shipping it to you. The carriers charge ridiculous prices for the shipping of mammals, so anyone shipping legally has to pay that. Most people who quote you a shipping price are quoting you exactly what it costs them to ship the animal.

Your best bet will probably be to ask petstores, vets, pet supply places etc. in your area if they know of local breeders. You could also find someone who's just a few hours away from you and beg a friend or family member to drive you. Many breeders will drive a reasonable distance to meet a pet owner, including myself. Where do you live by the way?
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Mississippi, and I begged my dad to drive me 2 hours for a horse, I am pretty sure there are no local rat breeders that are under 2 hours away. The local SPCA doesnt have rats, they only have dogs and cats. I looked on petfinder but normally they only have ones that don't ship. I found this one site that charges $50 to ship but I couldn't find where her price was and right now work is slow and I am not making any money yet(until I start working at my barn then I will make $50 a day. but I will only work on Sundays) My dad has a cage for me but its a hamster cage like this one:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754670
and sence it says "hamster home" I am SURE 2 rats cant live in that. I have a fish tank but I was affraid it might be too small for 2 rats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Okay, what I am going to do is use my fish tank I got for my 12th birthday and buy a fish tank topper. Now...what BEDDING do I use? what do I feed them? is there some kind of "Rat Bedding" and is there some kind of "rat food" or what? And now I am looking for 2 rats and shipping avaliabe or the place be near me.
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

don't you have any petco or pet smarts around you? they have rats normally, and they carry rat food i would use carefresh or yeterdays news for littler/bedding. plus have hides and things

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

I have a petsmart but I think there rats are like no less then $50 yea there alot.
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

ok...well i was thinking if you were closer...i would let you adopt 2 of the babies my Minnie unexpectedly had,but you're a bit far from Fort Wayne.But for food you should be able to find rat/mouse mixes of food and you can add other foods to it that ratties like.I use Carefresh for my bedding..it's a little dusty,but better than some beddings.Just never use pine...that's bad for ratties.

Ratties Rock My World!
My Zoo
Spring,Lynard,Georgia,Teddy,7 of Minnie's children, 2 dwarf rats and our rabbit Charlie
*Proud Rat Owner Since 2005*
RIP Ratties
Raven,Gracie,Chloe,Roxanne,Brandy,August, Nicki, Lulu,Lainey,Minnie,Edward,Jasper
RIP Lance We Still Miss You

post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

ok thanks kristie.
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Adolescent Pup

you're welcome...good luck finding some ratties.

Ratties Rock My World!
My Zoo
Spring,Lynard,Georgia,Teddy,7 of Minnie's children, 2 dwarf rats and our rabbit Charlie
RIP Ratties
Raven,Gracie,Chloe,Roxanne,Brandy,August, Nicki, Lulu,Lainey,Minnie,Edward,Jasper

post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

thanks, I need the luck lol. I don't know if I want 2 boys or 2 girls?? The girl hamsters I always had didn't bite but the first male I got bit me all the time. What do you all suggest?
post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Rats almost never bite at all, so that shouldn't be an issue with males or females. Male rats tend to be lazier and are more likely to calmly sit with you and just enjoy your company. Females are more active and are usually on the go and more playful. So it's just personal preference. I have males, I like to just sit with them and watch tv or read a book.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Adolescent Pup

As mtmaughan said male rats are more calm and laid back...females are more outgoing and like to explore...I have girls and I love them although sometimes I do wish they'd just calm down sometimes.Even my 2 year old is quite an active rattie.It just depends on if you want to sit and watch tv with your rat or let your rat explore your room and play with you a lot.

Ratties Rock My World!
My Zoo
RIP Ratties

post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

I want to just sit with mine when I get 2 also. So I guess I will look for males =] thanks mtmaughan
post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Part of the Pack

maybe try looking for a reptile store. They often sell live feeder rats for fairly cheap. I can't see anyone charging more than $15 for a single rat, anywhere. Feeders generally go for about $5, and can still make great pets. My SIL has 5 girls from the feeder bin who are the sweetest things, and very smart. Just a thought.

4 cats: Radar, Oscar, Mackintosh, Qwilleran
1 dog: Daphne
3 rabbits: Barbarella Bunny. DC's Lucy, Ricky
1 daddy-long leg spider: Spidey
8 assorted tarantulas
1 madagascar hissing cockroach: Lady
3 chickens
1 ball python: Eve
1 corn snake: Charisma
1 California kingsnake: Honey
1 tortoise: Charlie
2 Mali Uromastyx: Nick and Nora
post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

I am trying to talk my sister to bring me to petsmart and check there prices(its an hour away lol)

Tags
animal care, carefresh bedding, dog food, emergency vet, fish tank, food bowl, guinea pig, hamster cage, hamster food, humane society, lab block, lab blocks, local humane society, male rat, male rats, pet owner, pet rats, pet store, pet store rats, pet stores, rat cage, rat food, seed mix, stuffed animal, sunflower seeds, vet care, wood shavings