New Mice!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

New Mice!!!

So I was at a petstore the other day with my sister. She had to get some supplies for her guinea pig. we were looking at all the animals and there was a tank full of white mice and then we saw this really cute grayish one and then another light colored brindle. They were so cute. I couldn't resist them!! The only thing I'm concerned with is that they are both male and I have them in the same tank. They seem to really enjoy eachothers company at the moment. I'm hoping they stay that way. My sister said that she will take one if they end up fighting. So what do you think the chances of them staying together peacefully? They seem to be at least a few months old already. I'll be posting pics as soon as the batteries charge for my camera. The other question i have is about the smell. I know the males generally smell pretty bad. Is there anything i can do to cut down on that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 05:45 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Congrats!

Chances of them staying together? Pretty slim, to be honest. I would separate them now, BEFORE they have a chance to fight.

As for the smell, what are you using for bedding? Using something like Yesterday's News (maybe mixed with aspen shavings) and changing the bedding on a regular basis will help. Don't make the mistake of trying to clean the cage constantly or use strong-smelling cleaners, though. That will just make the male mark more. I've found that one thing that helps is to leave in a small portion of old bedding when you clean the cage. That way his scent is still there and he won't feel as much of a need to mark.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Here's some pics

The first two are Charlie and the last one is James. I'll be trying to get better pics all day long. James is kind of shy though.

Last edited by mittenthemouse; 02-10-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Cute little guys!!

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

aww cute little sweety pies!
Okay, so I'm not a mouse expert, but I thought that mice were socialable and liked the company of others?
because Sasami said to seperate them so now I'm confused, could you explain so I know for the future?
Thanks-in advance

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

More pics

I'll be posting more pics over the next few days!!!

Last edited by mittenthemouse; 02-10-2009 at 05:38 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

awwwwwwwwww, I absolutly love your little grey one, he is to tooo cute!... be careful... I might steal him... LOL, just kidding! Nice piccies!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Thank you...the grey one is Charlie. I love him!!!! He's so sweet too. He has no problem at all climbing right up on my hand.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

thats good, sounds like he has bonded to you right away! aww, Charlie is a cute name, It suits him!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:56 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

awwww there very cute

I have 4 males and they live in pairs so I don't think you'll have a problem

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

non neutered males for the most part dont get along with other males..sometimes they MAY get along with sibling males...but not often..more often they fight especialy in small settings..but if you neuter your males...like i do, you will be able to introduce and keep siblings together or other males at a young age, but neutered males are also hard to introduce to other adult males...so it's best done at a young age

while males would be fine with females...problem is reproduction..so it's best to neuter but if you cant they are best kept alone

so even thought they are social..there really isnt a way to keep males together unless neutered and introduced early

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 07:30 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

well i most be lucky as i introduces ziggy 8 months old and mattie 2 years old together about 5 months ago and they get on great

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

So far things are going really well with the two males living together. I keep a close eye on them and they really seem to enjoy the company. I'll keep watching in case I need to seperate them.

Tags
aspen shavings, males together