Hello! So glad that I found this forum!! I am a new rat mommy to Monkey
Our little lady is about 5 months old we believe. We got her at the end of August and were told she was about 3 months old. I have a few questions...
1. Shortly after we got her we noticed a sore on the outside bottom of each back foot. They have healed and one went away completely, but the other looks like dry skin. Any idea what caused this? or how to prevent it?
2. How do you keep the nails from getting long and sharp? I have been using nail clippers, which she tolerates, but is not real trilled about.
3. The rat cage we purchased had a little house in it. She rarely goes in it and prefers to sleep on the top shelf. We have moved the house around and even put it on the top shelf, but she will push it off the shelf. Is this normal? Do most of you have a hammock or sack for your ratties to sleep in?
4. We only purchased one rat... then read that they prefer to be with other rats. Do any of you have rats on their own? She is taken out of her cage several times every day to play with either myself or the kids so she has lots of socialization and play time...
5. Is there an easy way to add another rat to our family without having to buy another cage?
We have really enjoyed having a rat!! She is so loving!! She loves to run around on the couch and especially loves sitting on the back of my neck under my hair.
She also will lick us at times! We call them kisses!!
Thanks so much for your help everyone!!