New mouse owner - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

New mouse owner

Hey everyone. I'm a brand new mouse owner, but she's very shy. I've been trying to get her used to me by petting her with my finger while she's on her wheel. What else can I do to get her to butter up to me? Thanks.

I wish I could take some pics, but my cameras' broken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Will It Ever Change?

well, it may sound strange, but you could get her a friend. female mice are social and love company. you can also let her come to you then reward her with treats

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
well, it may sound strange, but you could get her a friend. female mice are social and love company. you can also let her come to you then reward her with treats
I was thinking about that. I might go tommorrow and get her a friend. I got her at PetSmart and all of the mice in her cage seemed to get along. So do I use the treat to lure her towards me? I also have two Habitrail Ovos connected. One has the wheel and shelter, and the other has the cardboard maze. She really likes chewing on the maze and she moved a lot of the pine bedding from the maze dome to the wheel dome. I want to get another dome just to give her more room, especially if she's going to have a friend in there. She's really sweet though.

Last edited by claude_speed; 05-04-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Well, if you go to PetSmart tomorrow to get her a friend, please also get some new bedding. Pine and cedar are harmful to small animals' respiratory systems. Aspen wood is safe, as are the recycled paper beddings like Carefresh and Yesterday's News.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Cant wait for mousie pics!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 02:26 AM
laugh often

welcome. Also if you dont feed them unti night around evening they shoould get hungry and will be more likely to get a treat froom you, then you can feed them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmaughan View Post
Well, if you go to PetSmart tomorrow to get her a friend, please also get some new bedding. Pine and cedar are harmful to small animals' respiratory systems. Aspen wood is safe, as are the recycled paper beddings like Carefresh and Yesterday's News.
I got her a friend today, along with an add-on for the cage. I also read a paper at PetSmart about the Aspen shavings, so I got some of those too. thanks for the advice.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

That's great, I hope they become good friends.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Will It Ever Change?

awww im so glad you got her a friend!! trust me, just watching them together will repay you in mounds!! and im glad you got aspen bedding. they will thank you for it too cant wait for pics!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan

Tags
aspen shavings, female mice, male mice, pine bedding