New mouse owner with a few questions... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

New mouse owner with a few questions...

Hello there!

I just bought my second mouse today (Scabber's littermate). I am not entirely sure of the genders, but I do know they are both the same gender (by comparing their genitals). Of course, if they are both male, and begin to fight, I will separate them. I got them from a local pet store, which breeds their own mice, and most of their other animals. The trouble is, the day I got Scabbers, the roads were horrible, and unbeknownst to me the woman who specializes in breeding mice could not get there. Another employee sold me Scabbers, and when I brought him back to the store today because I was unsure of his(?) gender, the mouse breeder was there. She was not happy about Scabbers, who is apparently only about 3 weeks old, being sold to me. However, since I'm already attached to the little cutie, and I wanted a littermate, she sold me the second mouse and instructed me on how to use milk replacement and other aspects of mouse care. I had orginally intended to get a hamster, but I decided to get a mouse for a new experience. I am kicking myself for not doing the research (I always do before I get an animal), but I love them and have since read a LOT about caring for them. They are so cute together - they are grooming each other right now.

Sorry about writing a novel here, but I thought the background would help. Now to my questions:

-For people who have raised mice who were away from their mother too soon, any tips for making sure they are as health as possible? I am using a q-tip dipped in kitten replacement milk.

-They are also taking quite nicely to solid food - how much of this should they get a day?

-Anyone who knows anything about mouse genetics, I am little confused. Obviously you can't know for sure from pictures, but what can you tell me about the genetics of these two mice?:

Scabbers:

And his littermate:

-I would also like to know if this mouse habitat looks like it has a good set-up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

check if both have or dont have nipples at this stage nipples will not be present on males

they appear at an age where baby formula isnt needed, give them regular mouse feed
and keep fresh water at all times, you wont need to worry about hand feeding them, as they appear old enough

ohh and your mice look as thought they could be 5-6 weeks already (although, i cant say for sure with the pic quality)....but if they are different genders seperate them now! i have made a mistake in age once, was off by a week....and that week gave me an opps litter....if you arent sure keep them separate for now bc you dont want an opps litter of 5 to 29 babies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Skratikans; 02-18-2007 at 08:00 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 08:38 PM

They are adorable!

I agree 100% with all skratikans have said (however I go for 4-5 weeks old, don't think they are 6 week old yet). You could add some softer food, like cooked oatmeal or bread soaked in KMR, but really, I've had baby mice with their eyes still closed chewing on cheerios...

As for the genetics, scabbers looks like a broken marked tiger brindle, that would be Avy* B* C* D* P*. Where the * are is that it could be a dominant gene or a recessive gene, but you wouldn't know unless you do breeding tests. If you have the colors of the parents you could guess it s/he has some recessives in her... The other one.. I can't properly guess the color in those pictures... but it's broken marked too. Maybe with a better picture I could tell you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 08:47 PM

Your mice are really cute!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 10:22 PM
RAT ADDICT

Cute mice.They look older then 3 weeks tho! I give them 4-5 weeks,but it is kinda hard to tell.

Females will have visible nipples and their parts will be close together,while a male's is farther apart.And when they get a little older,the males will develop testicals (if they are males).

The tank looks fine to me.At least temporaily!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot
They are adorable!

I agree 100% with all skratikans have said (however I go for 4-5 weeks old, don't think they are 6 week old yet). You could add some softer food, like cooked oatmeal or bread soaked in KMR, but really, I've had baby mice with their eyes still closed chewing on cheerios...

As for the genetics, scabbers looks like a broken marked tiger brindle, that would be Avy* B* C* D* P*. Where the * are is that it could be a dominant gene or a recessive gene, but you wouldn't know unless you do breeding tests. If you have the colors of the parents you could guess it s/he has some recessives in her... The other one.. I can't properly guess the color in those pictures... but it's broken marked too. Maybe with a better picture I could tell you.
Darwin (the second mouse) is pure white with a broken black stripe and a black hind region. Her fur is also frizzy - not exactly long-haired, but not short-haired either Very fun to pet. I wish I could get a better pic...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans
check if both have or dont have nipples at this stage nipples will not be present on males

they appear at an age where baby formula isnt needed, give them regular mouse feed
and keep fresh water at all times, you wont need to worry about hand feeding them, as they appear old enough

ohh and your mice look as thought they could be 5-6 weeks already (although, i cant say for sure with the pic quality)....but if they are different genders seperate them now! i have made a mistake in age once, was off by a week....and that week gave me an opps litter....if you arent sure keep them separate for now bc you dont want an opps litter of 5 to 29 babies
They are eating lab blocks, small seeds, and a tiny bit of carrots and other veggies every once in a while, along with some dried carrots and sweet potatoes. I think you're right, they are eating their food regularly. It was fun to hand feed them, though I think that the mouse breeder was just being extra-cautious. Scabbers is one of the smaller mice in her litter - Darwin is a good bit bigger. She's eating like a little piggy, so she may catch up.

I'm positive they are the same gender - I examined many mice in their litter and made sure that Darwin and Scabbers' genitals looked exactly the same. I am fairly sure they are both female. If they are about 5 weeks old, I should be able to see their testicles when they are relaxed, right? (I have watched them while they perch on their food dish, and haven't seen any)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 07:53 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

"I'm positive they are the same gender - I examined many mice in their litter and made sure that Darwin and Scabbers' genitals looked exactly the same. I am fairly sure they are both female. If they are about 5 weeks old, I should be able to see their testicles when they are relaxed, right? (I have watched them while they perch on their food dish, and haven't seen any"

well if the genitals are the same you at least have one sex, im glad they are doing well, you can still give them some formula as a treat from your hand...this way they will be more tame and friendly...its amazing how constant attention can make them so friendly...my mouse Alex has been hand fed and he never runs from me when i try to pick him up...he may walk away but there is no fear in his body language, and you will soon realize that the more friendly they are, the less poop pellets you will get on you..lol

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans

well if the genitals are the same you at least have one sex, im glad they are doing well, you can still give them some formula as a treat from your hand...this way they will be more tame and friendly...its amazing how constant attention can make them so friendly...my mouse Alex has been hand fed and he never runs from me when i try to pick him up...he may walk away but there is no fear in his body language, and you will soon realize that the more friendly they are, the less poop pellets you will get on you..lol
I know! I can tell already they are going to be pretty tame. They hardly ever run from me, and they seem to like it when I pet them behind the ears. So cute!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schismatic
Darwin (the second mouse) is pure white with a broken black stripe and a black hind region. Her fur is also frizzy - not exactly long-haired, but not short-haired either Very fun to pet. I wish I could get a better pic...
Then, the genetics for black are aa B* C* D* P*. I forgot to mention... I can't remember the letter for the spotting, but broken marked is a recessive spotting... if he's long hair, that's also a recessive gene (I think it's lh... not sure). Sometimes long hair can look shorter than you expect cause you have to purposely breed for very long hair. Even though it's a gene that tells if the mouse is long hair or not, the actual hair lengh is controlled by a series of "support" genes (can't remember the correct word... lol). However, there are also some mice that do not carry the long hair gene, but are extra fuzzy as babies, I had some of them, but I don't have long haired mice available here. I also had a mouse that had a very nice soft short hair (kinda like a rex rabbit). A couple of his sons/daughters inherited that type of hair... but I've never really heard of a gene like that...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 01:43 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

They're so cute. I think everyone covered all your questions.

Oh yea, I think your little tank is great. Since you only have 2 mice in it, that would be good as a cage.

*Missy*
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! You were very helpful I did some research about mice, but first hand experience is better.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 10:55 PM

last wedenesday my mouse just haded it babies mices and it hade d two more .can it really have more babies
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey
last wedenesday my mouse just haded it babies mices and it hade d two more .can it really have more babies
its possible..was it an accidental pregnancy? is she seperated bc if shes not you may be expecting another litter in 3wks...just to let you know

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

Tags
baby mice, lab block, lab blocks, local pet store, pet store