New mouse, Questions! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

New mouse, Questions!

This year we went up to my moms for Christmas, They now have 5 snakes (yikes!) so her boyfriend has started breeding mice but yeah snakes have to eat too.. i know. Anyway, I think my mom kinda felt bad cuz we didnt really do much for Christmas, not that i minded, i just loved being home, but yeah, i guess My boyfriend said something about me saying i wanted a mouse awhile back.. so guess what i got for Christmas? lol A little mouse, and a crittertrail cage that they were going to use, but soon found out it didn't work well for multiple mice or babies.

So after an interesting 18hour drive here we are back at home. The critter trail cage is cool, but i think shes still a little small for it, and i worry about her getting out in spots. So we've been keeping her in an extra 10gallon tank. and putting her in the critter cage to play. And might connect them some how later on. Is this ok? I haven't had a rodent as a pet since i was 8 or 9, and had a hamster. which of course i didnt know anything about, even kept it on pine bedding, and fed her little bits of everything in the world, looking back i have no idea how she lived so long. Right now we are using shredded news paper as bedding, because that's what shes used to, but we also have aspen chips for the rabbits litter box, so we might switch her to that, or a combination of the 2 since she seems to like playing in the newspaper. I was wondering about fleece, can you use fleece for mice?

And im really not sure what to feed her. We don't have a pet store here, might be able to get to one in a week or 2 maybe, but for now walmart is the only place that really has pet supplies. And of course they didn't have any mouse food. The closest thing they had was a hamster/gerbil mix, is this ok? would rabbit, ferret, or g pig food be closer? Im not sure what my mom was feeding them, i think it was something from the bulk bin at there petstore, mixed with cheerios and a little bit of dog, prolly not idea. Ive read on some sites of people making there own mix, using things likes oat meal, cereal, dried peas/beans, seeds, nuts, dog/cat food, etc. Does anyone do this? Ive been having trouble finding good websites with mouse info, but a lot about rats. does most rat information also apply to mice? lol, this has gotten really long. Sorry! i think thats all for now. but i'm sure i'll think of more questions later But i figure since you've read all this, well some of you might have read it all, you should atleast be able to see a pic of the little one! Not the best pics, but shes still pretty shy. I think were going to call her Evony, not sure yet tho, might change after we get to know her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

she is such a little cutie!
I'll let people who owned mice and know them a lot better than me answer your questions but congratulations on that little cutie! Post as many pictures as possible
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:34 AM

Thats cool I wish I had a mouse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:52 AM
RAT ADDICT

Congrats on the little cutie.

You should get a second though...female mice are very social.I have two groups of females...they were all together,but I recently seperated them into a group of 3 and a group of 4.They do alot better with at least one other cagemate.

Yes,you can connect the cage to the tank later on when she is bigger and cannot squeeze through.Bigger the better!

As for food...I feed a seed mixture (hamster/gerbil food will work temporarily) and I make my own rat mix and will give the mice some of that too.Also Nutriblock.And I will give them bits of bread and such too.

Dog,cat or ferret food is not really good for them...as it is too much protein.A little bit as a treat is fine,but I would not feed them alot of it and long term.

Mix some aspen with the shredded paper.I do this.My mom has a paper shredder and gives me all of her paper shreds and I find mixing it with my aspen is really good.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Hey Lisa, i was hoping you'd come along! I was wondering about a cage mate as well, would introducing another female be a problem? or do females generally accept each other? Also, have you ever used fleece in your cages?

My Furry Family
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:20 PM
RAT ADDICT

Fleece is okay.I give mine bits of fleece for their nests and they do really enjoy it.

As for the cagemate thing...females are not like males and do generally accept other females.Sorcha and Keela were introduced to the rest of my girls with no problem.

Do intros on neutral ground,like a bathtub or something first.But in most cases females accept eachother with no or little problem.Also your little one looks young still,so it should be easy to introduce another to her.I find younger mice are easier to introduce.

Females are very social unlike the males.Males will kill eachother,but females normally are not so territorial and I never had a female so aggressive ever.Sometimes you may get a female a little more dominant (my Sorcha is bit of a b****),but other then a few little squabbles,there is nothing serious.

* Lisa *

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Aww i so her! she did the cutest thing just now.. she cleaned her tail lol it was cute hammys dont have tails to clean.

Anyway.. lol i will try to talk the boyfriend into letting me get another mousy sometime soon. What is Nutriblock? is that a brand of food? or something specific?

My Furry Family
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 03:55 PM
RAT ADDICT

I agree,when they clean their tails it is super cute!

Nutriblock is lab blocks...they are food and there are different brands of these blocks...Harlen Tech is the BEST brand you can get,but it usually has to be ordered online.I cannot get it at all right now,so I use Nutriblock.

Some people say feed lab blocks and NOTHING else,I do not recommend this,as when I tried this,my rats and mice became skinny.So I add them in with their normal food.

* Lisa *

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Do you know if they sell something like that at petsmart or petco?

She seems to be more settled today, i actually got her to take a bit of cracker from me of course she ran off and hid to eat it, but its a start Do mice have cheek pouches like hamsters?

My Furry Family
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 08:37 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am not sure,as we do not have a Petsmart or a Petco here.
But I do know some brands of lab blocks can be bought at a pet store.
I get my Nutriblock from a small pet store here.

Nope,mice do not have cheek pouches like hams.

* Lisa *

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Heres a few more Evony pics. Shes still really shy, so its hard to get pics. Shes getting a little more active tho, im just impatient
I cleaned out part of her tank today, so i took a few quick pics with my phone. I put aspen chips in about half her tank, (the side she was goin potty in) and she came out right away to see them and dug around in them, and she got kinda jumpy or twitchy, does this mean she likes them or something else? She seems fine now.

This is just her tank this week, the paper was spread out even and she took it all and put it in a big huge nest with 3 openings, kinda cool, but i wonder if shes doin it cuz shes cold? or jus makin a home? the water bottle is from her critter cage. the stores here dont have any that will work with the lid of her tank, kinda dumb, but we made her some lil box stairs which was kinda fun, in a how did we pass 3rd grade sorta way

Heres her tank after i cleaned it a lil today and took the box out. Found her a little plastic thing, so when the bottle drips it will go on there and not make a mess. i think she likes it.

When ever i put her in the critter cage, she explores all over, and then makes good use of the wheel i don't think she can spin that wheel by herself, so were gonna look for another one for her.

Any tips for getting her less scared of people? Ive been giving her little bits of cracker and cheerios if she'll take em from my hand.

My Furry Family
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnstuff View Post
Heres a few more Evony pics. Shes still really shy, so its hard to get pics. Shes getting a little more active tho, im just impatient
I cleaned out part of her tank today, so i took a few quick pics with my phone. I put aspen chips in about half her tank, (the side she was goin potty in) and she came out right away to see them and dug around in them, and she got kinda jumpy or twitchy, does this mean she likes them or something else? She seems fine now.

This is just her tank this week, the paper was spread out even and she took it all and put it in a big huge nest with 3 openings, kinda cool, but i wonder if shes doin it cuz shes cold? or jus makin a home? the water bottle is from her critter cage. the stores here dont have any that will work with the lid of her tank, kinda dumb, but we made her some lil box stairs which was kinda fun, in a how did we pass 3rd grade sorta way

Heres her tank after i cleaned it a lil today and took the box out. Found her a little plastic thing, so when the bottle drips it will go on there and not make a mess. i think she likes it.

When ever i put her in the critter cage, she explores all over, and then makes good use of the wheel i don't think she can spin that wheel by herself, so were gonna look for another one for her.

Any tips for getting her less scared of people? Ive been giving her little bits of cracker and cheerios if she'll take em from my hand.

Well, how I tamed my mice was to set my hand in the cage for a few minutes everyday and letting them smell my hand and i would give treats out and finally got them onto my hand but it takes work.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 06:13 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzysangel View Post
Well, how I tamed my mice was to set my hand in the cage for a few minutes everyday and letting them smell my hand and i would give treats out and finally got them onto my hand but it takes work.
This is what I do as well.I will lay my hand flat in the cage and let the mice investigate on their own.It does take patience.I then put my hand in the cage with some sort of tasty morsel in it,to show I am the bringer of good things.

With time and patience,she will come around.

As for the jumping/twitching,this is normal behavior for a happy,content mouse.

And her pushing everything into a nest is just how mice like to make a nest.Mouse nests often look very cozy and comfortable.

* Lisa *

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

shes getting better, got her to crawl on my hand a few times, and she doesn't run every time i put my hand up to the bars anymore so, were getting there

We're still keeping her in the tank and putting her in the critter cage when were around. She seems so much more active in the crittercage, so i was wonder, if this is because theres more to do, things to explorer, or if shes trying to find a way back to her nest? I cant wait till we get some more tubes so we can connect the two.

My Furry Family
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

i wasn't going to put her in the lil cage tonight, was too tired to sit with her. But when i went to feed her in the tank, she came out and climbed up my arm
Shes getting braver, but now im worried she might be getting a little too brave! lol

My Furry Family

Tags
feeding, food, mice, mouse