New Owner and unsure. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Question New Owner and unsure.

I just got mice for the first time yesterday. I put them in their cage together, and everything seemed fine. Then this morning I woke up to them making alot of noise. they were running around, the bigger one chasing the little one and pining it down on its back. He was squeaking and after the bigger one left him alone for a little, the little guy just layed there on his back. Im not sure of the gender of either of them, as one isnt easy to catch and handle. From what I have seen from them climbing on the cage I think they are females, but Im not to sure.

I didnt notice any bleeding or injury, but untill I knew what was happening I temporarly seperated them untill I know whats happening. Some forums have said they will keep fighting, and kill eachother, and some just say its normal.

Im wondering if maybe they are just determining whos "boss", but like I said, I was worried they will hurt eachother!
Seeing the little mouse get bullied, pined down, Hearing the sweaking, and then seeing it just laying there on its back scared me.

Any help would be much appriciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 07:10 AM
I am allergic to maths

As long as there isnt any blood or visible injuries it means they are fighting for dominance. This is ok but since this is happening I would say have two of everything, water bottles, food bowls, ect otherwise the less dominant one will not get what he needs.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:02 AM
Part of the Pack

as rodentzrule said, it sounds like they're just fighting for dominance. they may even playing. my rats get a little rough when they play. a general rule with rodents is "no blood, no fowl". their teeth are sharp enough that, if they wanted to hurt each other, they could, so if there's no blood, they're not meaning to hurt each other.

and welcome btw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:58 AM
RAT ADDICT

If there is no blood,you don't have anything to worry about.They are establishing dominance.

If they are both female,they will eventually get along well.Just have two of everything as mentioned.If they are both male,then it may be better to keep them seperated,as males rarely ever get along and can fight to the death.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Rodentologist

You definitely need to sex them and determine their sex for definite! If you have a male and a female, you're potentially about to own 20+ mice!

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
You definitely need to sex them and determine their sex for definite! If you have a male and a female, you're potentially about to own 20+ mice!
Thanks everyone Ill make sure to keep an eye on them and make sure there is no blood and that everything is ok. As for the Gender, Im pretty sure the pet store that I went to (petland) wouldnt keep 2 genders together, since they have around 30 mice together, and I dont think they would wanna send unsuspecting people home with a male and female. Just my thought.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 02:37 PM
I am allergic to maths

I am not familiar with this pet store but alot of pet stores cant even sex their animals properly, the often sell ill animals too which makes me sure that them sending people home with a male and a female or even sending them home with a preganant mouse, wouldnt leave them with a guilty consience
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 03:37 PM

You'd be surprised how often large pet stores keep members of the opposite sex together. I got my rats from a friend who bought two "male" rats from Petco (Who only keep one gender of small animals in their branch locations). Needless to say that 20 days later they had 11 little rattlings. Don't trust the pet store to 'do the right thing' it never happens.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 03:48 PM

i would be sure to sex them right away never rely on a pet store to tell you what sex they are, half of the pet store workers do not know what they are doing.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 06:19 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undersea-sun View Post
Thanks everyone Ill make sure to keep an eye on them and make sure there is no blood and that everything is ok. As for the Gender, Im pretty sure the pet store that I went to (petland) wouldnt keep 2 genders together, since they have around 30 mice together, and I dont think they would wanna send unsuspecting people home with a male and female. Just my thought.
Most of the time,pet stores have NO clue how to properly sex small animals and males and females are often housed together.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Part of the Pack

especially if they're feeder mice, then most people dont worry because they're going to be food before they can give birth.

as for sexing, i know that male rats have definate "boy bits", is it the same for mice?

Babies:
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Me and my boyfriend went ahead and sexed them. We know for sure that one is a female but Im a bit unsure of the other one. Im thinking its a girl too, based on how far apart the anus and genitals are.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Part of the Pack

this might help, i dont know if it's the best one, but it's got pictures.

http://www.thefunmouse.com/info/sexing.cfm

Babies:
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

It did! Thanks everyone for the help! I really like this forum
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Playful Pup

As someone said about pregnancy, I went home with two females many years ago and they ended up having two litters. Both were females but one was pregnant and had babies then the babies had babies and well, you get the picture. As for the fighting, like everyone says as long as there isnt blood its fine. How big is the cage? Two of everything is a good idea, they'll settle down. Are they about the same size/age? That could have something to do with it also.

Tags
fighting, mice