New to pet mice, any and all advice welcome, plus questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Lightbulb New to pet mice, any and all advice welcome, plus questions

Hello all, I have had my 2 mice Erza and Juvia, both girls, for about 2 weeks now. They have a one level cage and a three level cage attached by tubes, and a small tube tunnel lookout as well. They have two excersize wheels, a plastics igloo, a wooden hut hideout, chewable branch to climb on, a food bowl and water bottle in each cage, and I give them fresh toilet paper tubes as often as I have them.

I feed them kaytee fiesta mouse mix, and they get papaya stems stuffed with treats once a week. I've given them apples but they didn't eat it, a banana piece which they loved, but haven't explored other foods just yet.

I have a schedule to change out their bedding once a week, I put on a glove and pick up poo and wet bedding every afternoon, which is also when I give them fresh water and check how much food they have. When I check the food I am looking to see if their picking out particular foods, because I want to see them eat all of it instead of enabling them to be picky by taking out what they didn't eat and refilling it.

When I do this I also take the tubes out and give them a good washing in hot water with unscented dish soap, and once a week a soak in hot water with half a cap of bleach. I always make sure you can no longer smell any cleaning supplies on the plastic, and carefully hand dry them so no drops are left on. The wheels and food bowls are also soaked.

Since they are new to the home we haven't handled them much aside from moving them when we change the bedding, but we talk to them frequently throughout the day and we let them take food bits off our hands(washing before and after) when we fill their food. But we would love to be able to handle them more in time.

I would love any and all advice, if I'm doing anything wrong, feel welcome to tell me! Also, I have a cold so I'm trying to limit my contact with them, and always using gloves if I touch anything in the cage and I am not hand feeding while I'm sick. Can they catch my cold?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 06:35 PM
Newborn Pup

Wow, you act like you've had mice all your life! You're doing everything right! One thing I would say is that you should also give them lab blocks with the mix. I too use the fiesta mix but I add oxbow young rat and mouse food so they can get all the nutrients they need. I would also recommend, if possible, to get an aquarium-like cage for them instead of the critter nation type cages. Mice can actually get stuck in the tubes and bars fairly easily. I have a 29 gallon long tank with a mesh lid (needed for protection and ventilation) which is secured with cage clips. They do fine with that I don't think mice can catch your cold, but if it's bad enough you may not want to handle them too much, just to be safe. Good luck with your babies! If you have any other questions for me feel free to ask!!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 08:09 PM

Hello seeking advice regarding three sweet rescued baby mice. I rescued 4 days ago and aged them per the pics I found online at approx 8 days old. that would make them 12 DAYS now. I have been feeding them Kitten formula every 2 to 3 hours, stimulating them to go poop and pee. Today two pooped this morning but no more. I have found wet spots where they were or had them pee in my hand. I know nothing except what I read on the internet. The smallest animal I raised before was a medium sized puppy and that was years ago. When do they start pooping on their own. I am wondering if that is what is happening. I hope so anyway. They do not appear bloated or to be in any distress. Help any advice/info. Getting worried

Tags
cage, female, mice, questions