New Rat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

New Rat! Lots of questions!! Please help :)

Hiya guys! I got a new pet rat, and I have a few questions for all you experienced rat owners out there.
First things first what is the best thins to feed your rat?
What are some good ways to train your rat?
What makes good rat treats?
How about what are some good toys for a rat?
My rat is young is it usual for them to sleep a lot?
Anything else you can tell me about rats. I'd love to hear!

Last edited by Lakota11; 12-31-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Not enough emphasis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 01:48 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hi Lakota and welcome to the forum!

First off, the most important thing to know when getting rats is that they absolutely should have at least one other rat to keep them company. You should always adopt in pairs at the very least. Rats are very social and if kept alone, they can quickly become depressed, lonely and lethargic, to the point where it can actually cause health problems. Where did you adopt your rat? Did he come from a litter where you can go and adopt one of his brothers? Or if a girl, one of her sisters?

Rats need a good lab block food as their basic staple food that should be kept in their house 24 hours a day so they always have access to it. Many rat owners use Harlan Teklad lab blocks, or Oxbow blocks are also very good. Do not feed rats the mixed seed mix that many pet stores sell as it is not nutrionally adequate for them. I do not know why so many companies sell that stuff and call it rat food.

Good treats for rats are things that are not full of sugar or the junk that you see in a lot of processed foods that people eat. Supplementing the basic lab block diet with small portions of fruit and veggies, with some things like plain Cheerios, small bits of wheat bread, and baby food/baby rice cereal, dry rolled oats and things like that are all good treats, at least that is what I like to feed my two boy rats. You will got a lot of suggestions on treats on the forum from different people.

There are so many things to remember when you first have rats so it can be overwhelming. I would highly suggest visiting some rat web sites for articles and suggestions on food, bedding, treats and so forth. You will learn new things every day. I did a lot of research before I was ready to adopt. Pine bedding/shavings are very unhealthy for rats as the pine can highly irritate a rat's sensitive respiratory system. I personally use a lot of fleece and flannel cloth for my boys and some people use the Carefresh Ultra bedding that is low in dust. There are several different low dust beddings out there but this is just a suggestion or two for you.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.

Last edited by Vladina; 12-31-2012 at 01:51 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Newborn Pup

I totally agree with Vladina about getting two rats ^^ that is a very important thing. Rats need company. And, it shouldn't be a problem getting two because they are very cheap animals, anyway (unlike other more exotic pets).

1. The staple diet is a good brand of a rat lab block. I'm going with an Oxbow Regal Rat. It doesn't contain fatty foods like the mixes do and rats can't be picky and only eat the things they like. On the side of that main food, you can give your rat veggies and fruits to keep things interesting and healthy. Make sure it's safe for them first.

2. If you want a tame pet right off the bat, get your rat from a breeder. They'll be socialized and used to humans. Otherwise, take things slowly. Bribe them with treats, ect. There are many helpful tips and guides online about taming.

3. Some good rat treats could even BE the fruits and vegetables. Besides that, you can give them yogurt drops, raisins, gurber baby puffs, cheerios, ect. And of course, don't over feed them on the treats.

4. Bird chew toys are great, toilet paper rolls, tissue boxes as hidey homes or for chewing, cat balls to play and toss around with, hammocks need to be in the cage, tunnels, ect.

Do some research and look at the other threads on the forum for more tips. Good luck with your new rattie

Charlie
Daizy

Gus
Alfie

Tags
rat, rat advice