new rat mommy, kind of urgent!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

Exclamation new rat mommy, kind of urgent!!

okay so i'm sitting here and i look over at Winston's cage, and hes like walking around and it looks like hes jumping sort of? and it seems his testicles are swollen. it almost looks like hes having a little ratty seizure!!!1 i dont know if this is serious or if you guys have had it happen but please help i dont want my baby to have something wrong

My Lovely Little Zoo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel, Bentley, Easton, Karma,Patches,Harley, Sara, Jose, Flippers<33
"Animals are such agreeable friends, they ask no questions - pass no criticisms"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 02:33 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Well, it is hard to tell exactly what is going on with him without being there in person to see him, but I would at least call your small animal vet as soon as possible and give your vet a description of the symptoms. Is he eating and drinking? Also, is Winston a lone rat, by himself? It seems like you just have one rat? As a side note, rats should always be kept in at least pairs, as they are very social and need a buddy to sleep, eat, play, groom and cuddle with. Solitary rats get very depressed and it can easily affect their health.

I am not saying that his current symptoms are due to being a lone rat, but it was something I thought you should know about as a side note.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 02:35 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I just noticed on your signature that it seems Bentley, your gerbil is by himself as well? No other gerbil? Gerbils are very social as well and they need a playmate as well to avoid depression and lethargy. Just speaking from experience as someone who has had gerbils.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 07:52 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Is Winston a baby rat? He may be popcorning where they jump in the air and run around. Are his testicles bright pink and warm? Is it warm in the room he's in, as that could be normal.

Can you tell us more about him?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

Well yeah he's lone, but i'm going to a breeder in a town outside my own probably as soon as i post this, and looking at rats. and yeah i was going to look into getting another gerbil for bentley too.

uh i guess hes a baby. hes obviously not a year yet i would assume since the pet store considered him a "small" rat. he is small. he also tends to just stay in this castle house i have for him and he doesnt really come out. ive seen him drink a couple times and yeah hes eating. i'm feeding pellets. last night he completely enclosed himself. i put nonscented tissues in there for him and he used them to enclose himself beyond visibility in this castle . but now i can see him annd from what i can see from where im laying hes sleeping. but i'm not 100% on that.

yeah his testicles are pink and it does tend to be warmer in my bedroom than the rest of the house. so maybe thats not bad?

My Lovely Little Zoo

"Animals are such agreeable friends, they ask no questions - pass no criticisms"

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Yah, in pet stores 'small' rat is a juvenile rat. He may be a baby rat who just completely dropped his testicles? And if he's just popping around in circles, I agree, it may be popcorning. If it looks like he's attacking a monster clinging to his belly, I'd guess popcorning. LOL

The fact that he's isolating himself makes me think he's lonely too.

If you can get another young companion for him soon, before he's 3- 4 months, you'll be able to do intros with no problems. Since you are not sure of his age, I'd vote sooner rather than later.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

like today xD which is what i'm doing. ha. and ok i was worried he was like spazzing out.

My Lovely Little Zoo

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 02:43 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I just picked up a "small adult rat" that was to be used as a liver feeder...and this baby boy is 4-6 weeks old!! So I had a feeling

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

sooooo i got this rat. and hes an adult. possibly. probably. and idk what the best way of going about introducing them?

My Lovely Little Zoo

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 02:26 AM
Newborn Pup

let them smell thru the bars of the cage and let them sit there for a wile to see how they act and then take them out and hold them both together.and if they get along then put them in the cage together.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love rats View Post
let them smell thru the bars of the cage and let them sit there for a wile to see how they act and then take them out and hold them both together.and if they get along then put them in the cage together.
Oh god, worst advice ever...sorry I Love My Rats, but I would disregard this totally.

First we have NO clue how old these rats are...I was hoping you would get a baby. Can you post pics of these rats so we can age them? If the new boy is under 5-6 months of age then it might be an easy intro, especially if the original rat is just a baby. If he's older it could be a bit trickier. Rats are very territorial so letting them meet through their cage bars can end up not great. Letting them meet in your lap is also not a good idea if the older one decides to attack the younger one, you could end up bitten.

if they are both babies but one is a bit older, than its much simpler, but most times with males (and females) you need to follow a proper procedure for introduction. Neutral territory, semi-neutral, not neutral, then cage intro, it can take days and even weeks/months in some cases.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Last edited by lilspaz68; 01-01-2011 at 10:44 AM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

he's reallllly big for his age. but i'm almost 99% sure he's a baby but a bit older than winston. but they're together in the cage and they love eachother. i've been keeping a very close eye on them though they seem to be doing ok. theyve had a few non vicious dominance squabbles but thats no big deal and they werent bad and ended quickly.

My Lovely Little Zoo

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Newborn Pup

im sorry for giving you that bad advice but thats what i did whith my rats and they were just fine.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

haha i didnt think it was bad. my rats are together now and it's fine soo

My Lovely Little Zoo

Tags
spastic, weird acting