New Rat Owner - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Question New Rat Owner

Hey all!

So, I am a new rat owner, got two adults about 2 months ago and I have a 5/6 week old baby rat which I have hand raised since about day 4. She was supposed to be a feeder rat but me and my husband didnt have the heart to feed her to his snake...she was too precious.

Sooooo

I have a couple of questions:

1) The two adult rats I have are quiet tame, not afraid of me while they are in their cage, but are scared to death to be seperated...but when I take them out together they have no interest in playing or anything, they just snuggle up together and pee repeatedly on me untill I put them back in the cage . When they are seperate they will do anything to get back to the cage, including trying to jump off my shoulder 5 feet to the ground.

How do I start to tame them individually without making them so scared?

2) The baby rat I hand raised is very tame, very friendly, and is basically perfect, but I want to be sure I am giving her the best nutrition for this part of her life. Up untill week 3 she was on soy baby formula, then untill last week it was formula and solid foods, now she is on solid food. Rat food/greens/fruit/occasional grains.

Are there any supplements I should be giving her for best growth and health?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Congrats! I am a new rat owner too.
They can start to have fruits and veggies now and if you feed them lab blocks, those are great for their health (and my girls eat them up like treats!)
They can eat tons of things so it would be easier to list the bad stuff
-chocolate
-peanuts
-any seeds (from fruits)
-onions
-avocado skin
-citrus fruits

My girls we be 2 months soon and they get apples, small amounts of cheese, broccoli, and also meat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

I'm wondering what I can do about my rats who will no longer chew on chew blocks...their teeth are getting long and I don't know what to do...they won't chew on wood, they won't chew on hard veggies...

What do I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 02:37 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Are you feeding a lab block? They are usually good enough to grind their teeth down. If you are noticing discomfort then you need to take them to the vet to get clipped. The vet can show you how to do it yourself (if you are comfortable) when they need it.
What sex are your 2 adult rats? Males tend to be LAZY and yes sometimes they will cuddle when they are out of the cage. You can always just let them have play time in a play space (something you mark off yourself with stuff they can't get through, you can find play pen things at walmart) or you can just use your bed. Be warned, if you do use your bed, expect chew marks in the sheets and blankets! They will always find a way to chew when you're not looking.
If you are worried about your baby rat not getting the supplements she needs, you can always give her a piece of toast soaked in soy milk everyday (a small piece) or you can give her a bit on ensure but don't over do it.
Do you have any other pets in the house? Remember rats can smell better then we do so if you do have other pets, make sure to keep them away from the rats and make sure when the rats have free time they are secure. It sounds like your rats just have to warm up to you. You can always bribe them with food (but NOT through the cage bars!)
You can work with your rats by trying to get them out of the cage with treats and trust training. Let them take a treat from you by your fingers, then move it up to you hand and so on...
If the rats are all of the same sex, I find that they will "copy" each other. If the baby is comfortable around you then the other rats will learn that you're okay.

*Missy*
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

I have tried numerous types of lab blocks/wooden things/crunchy treats/carrots....they will nibble here and there but don't like to chew much. They eat their rat mix just fine and don't seem uncomfortable but their teeth are getting too long because they don't like to chew....=(

They are both female...and have started to warm up to me a bit more. They are very active and don't really sit in one place...and hate to be picked up, but will sleep in my pocket or sweatshirt hood once I am finally able to get them out of the cage.

I have been working on trust training, but they don't really eat out of my hands at all...the baby will any day, and if they see her eating out of my hand they will get curious, but rarely will actually eat out of my hands.

I'm mainly concerned about their teeth though....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Have you tried Harlan Teklad blocks? Generally rats seem to like these quite a bit, and they are very nutritionally balanced. If they still refuse to chew on those lab blocks, then you might try giving them a homemade grain mix with some dry tri-color spiral pasta making up about 10% of the mix. (Or you could just give them a few pieces of pasta every now and then as a crunchy "treat".) This should help wear their teeth down, too.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 01:32 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Grils tend to be hyper then the boys and from young to adult in my raising from pups to grown I get the mix. As in one will be more settled then the other. They coudl have had a bad exsprince with coming out of the cage before you got them.
I have 2 rats that I have to trim their teeth I hate to do it but I have to. once a week. One has a jaw that is twisted were she can eat but cant naw proberly, She was not born with this but developed it sortly after brith were mom stepped on her and how she managed to nurse i have no clue. She was about a week old when mom did it. the other will chew but for some reason she can never keep her botton teeth filed but she dose great on the tops.
I would take her to the vet to see if it is maybe a crucked jaw. I was liky that it only effect my rattys front teeth but they can have back teeth thtat since they dont line up right that you may have to have the vet do. My one I have to trim every week and she is a dwarf and thats hard at times the other is a large feamle and I can grasp better. We use as in when I lives with my parents have to trim our rabbit teeth but I was not shure anout how to do the rats. I still hate doing it though andI think she is as well
Diamond

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.

Tags
rats