new to rats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

new to rats

Hi. I was in the pet store yesterday and was checking out the rodents when this man came in and wanted to buy all the rats to feed to his snakes. I felt really bad for the rats. Anyways, the lady was getting the rats out and practically stuffing the rats into these tiny plastic carriers the man had. I mean the rats really could not move at all. The snake guy noticed one of the rats was hairless and said he didn't want to feed his snakes a sick rat. So the lady put it back in the cage. While the man paid for the other rats, I checked out the baldy rat. It was really ugly, but seemed sad. All of it's friends were gone. The lady came back there and was like, I'll let you have that rat for 2$. She said it would get sold for snake food and I felt really bad for it. I had an empty cage at home and decided to rescue it. Anyways it's a girl named Sue. She's cute in an ugly sort of way. I think she has a repiratory infection, probably a flare up of myco. I was wondering if anyone knows if myco can be passed to other animals besides rats and mice. I have a hamster, gerbil, 2 degus, and cats. Also, is scaly yellow patches of ?dead skin? on the tail normal? If I gently scratch it with my finger it flakes off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 10:34 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

I believe it can be passed on to other pets. It's best to keep her isolated.

If you handle her a lot, make sure you wash your hands throughly afterwards.

If you see what looks like blood coming from her nose, it's serious. In another thread I posted how a couple of people I know had hairless rats that had to be euthanised because it was so bad.

I would also suggest getting her to a vet ASAP. I don't mean to scare you, but there may be some antibiotics she can go on.

Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks for the info. She doesn't have any red coming out of her nose yet. She just sneezes an awful lot and sometimes makes a funny noise. I am going to try my hardest to get her to a vet. I read somewhere on the net that myco only causes infections in rats and mice. But, I guess I need to make sure. She also won't eat the rat food I got her. At the ps they were only feeding her left over bird food and hamster mix. I fed her some peanut butter with some vitamin stuff mixed in. Just a little bit and she ate it. Any suggestions as to how to get her to eat the rat food? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 04:33 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

Maybe try mixing some of the peanut butter in with the regular food? Something just to tempt her to go there and eat it.

Karen

[

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 04:40 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I don't know much at all about rats but wanted to let you know I think it's special of you to take the time to notice the lil'lady and try to help her. It takes a big heart to notice the lil'critters. Thanks for being special

- Deb

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have a huge space in my heart devoted to little critters. When I get my degree someday, they are what I really want to study. Besides, who could look at her funny little face and say no?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 07:23 AM
Adolescent Pup

She's adorable! I love hairless ratties.

I also would suggest getting her to a vet if she's making strange noises. A round of antibiotics wouldn't hurt at this point. Although the sneezing will be normal for the first several days she is home. Most all rats moving to a new home sneeze a lot as they are getting used to their new environment and the new smells. If it persists after a week then a vet visit is definitely in order.

A good rat diet you can make yourself that all mine love is Suebee's Mix (http://www.ratsrule.com/diet.html) Be very careful with peanut butter. Rats do not have a gag reflex and sometimes have problems eating sticky type foods. I wouldn't give peanut butter at all.

I would also recommend getting her another female companion once you know she is healthy. Rats are very social animals and are much happier and healthier in groups.

Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of ratties! And good for you for giving her a good home.

Christy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I looked at the rat food recipe. Sounds pretty good. I think I'll give it a try. I don't live near a store that sells that type of dog food though. Is there another I can use?So far the only thing I've seen her eat was a little banana, peanut butter, and some sunflower seeds that were in some hamster mix I gave her because I was afraid she'd starve cause she won't eat the rodent blocks. I didn't want to give it to her, but thats what she was used to eating, so I thought I could give her that along with the rodent blocks and wean her off of it. The sneezing has actually gotten better. I plan on getting another female rat as soon as I am sure she is healthy. Do you think it would be good to get one with fur? Maybe it would keep her warm.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 02:44 PM
Adolescent Pup

I don't know about alternate foods, but here is what is on the nutro bag so you can compare:

Nutro is 14% protein.

The main ingrediants as listed on the bag are:

rice flour, lamb meal, ground rice, rice bran, dried beet pulp, sunflower oil, poultry fat.......that should be enough to find one similar.

Either a furred or another hairless rat will be fine - both will generate body heat regardless.

Christy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 02:59 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

What a cute little rat!!! Hairless rats usually gross me out, but this one is precious! I hope the lil' lady feels better soon! Then she can get a friend.

Tags
dog food, dried beet pulp, female rat, hairless rat, hairless rats, male rat, pet store, rat food, snake food, social animals, sunflower seeds, vet visit