New To Rats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

New To Rats

Hey.. I'm looking to get a new addition to my family.. I need do's and dont's with rats. What kind of rat is best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Please help.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

what do you mean what kind of rat?
there is only the fancy rat you can get. Some have dumbo ears, some have different colors, some have rex (curly) fur and some have no hair, but they are all the same otherwise.
there are loads of threads about this... I'll try and link them here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 12:36 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f16/r...ght=rat+owners

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f16/i...light=rat+info

Do give your rat at LEAST an hour out of cage every day.
Don't feed it cheap pet store food. They need a homemade diet or high quality lab block.

A lot of people wonder about males and females-
Males are a bit stinkier and are generally very laid back. They also have very big testicles and dribble pee sometimes and are a bit bigger than females too.
Females are more active and need more play time and are usually smaller than the males and hardly even stink.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 01:11 AM
Adolescent Pup

I feed my rats pet store food but its not cheap. Its about $14 dollars for one kilo. Protein enriched too apparently. IT has oats, dried carrots and dried peas of some kind. Not sure what else. But they like it, and eat more of it then the cheap store food. I also feed my girls pretty much anything from vegie scraps to chicken bones. Cooked chicken bones are easier for them to eat. http://www.freewebs.com/rattyrescue/azratsafefoods.htm is a list of food they can and can't eat.

Bedding: I'm still working that out. Avoid shavings.

Pita my blue female rat with Pandora, my champagne hoody.

R.I.P Pita - 11.06.2010 at the age of just over a year (a year the feb gone since I bought them, she was at least a month old when I got her)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:40 AM
RAT ADDICT

There is only one kind of rat...but as mentioned,tons of varieties.
There is no difference between the varieties,so it is personal choice on whether you want a white or blue or hooded or dumbo...however some varieties are harder to find/get then others and for some varieties,you need to go to a GOOD breeder.

AVOID pine or cedar litter.These are toxic to rats and other small animals.Aspen,Carefresh,Yesterdays News,hemp...etc,etc are safe litters to use.I use aspen personally,sometimes mixed with YN and shredded paper.

They need toys and out of cage time and have some money put aside in case they need a vet visit....rats are prone to RI (respiratory illness) and females are prone to tumors,so you will need some money set aside just for the vet.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *