New Rats! Questions? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

New Rats! Questions?

I just got my first two pet rats on Friday afternoon . I'm so excited to have them both!

I have a few questions though. They both seem to be sneezing a lot.

The white dumbo I have, she's not nearly sneezing as much as when I first got her.

I also got a blue standard rat, who seems to be sneezing quite a bit. She hasn't showed any signs of gunk in her eyes or nose, but truly is sneezing A LOT. I wasn't sure whether I should wait another day to take her to the vet because I just got her?

They both aren't used to the bedding that I am using. I'm using the Care Fresh bedding. Right now, they are in a 10 gallon aquarium, because I'm waiting for their highrise cage to come which has many levels for them to play in.

Now is it normal for my blue standard to be sneezing so much? If one did in fact have a respiratory infection, could it be spread between the two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 04:59 PM

Its true that both could just be nervous and the blue is just showing it more. Id wait about a day or two and if shes still constantly sneezing like it sounds take them both to the vet.

If one of has a respiratory infection she sure fire will give it to another rat if they are close our aren't quarantined incredibly well. Its just safer to get them both checked out so you arent medicating one but the other keeps getting it sick again.

My little guy showed no sign of respiratory infection except sneezing but he has one.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Ok thank you! She's sneezing a alot more than the other one. When I first got the other one, she was sneezing a lot but is not sneezing as much any longer.

The blue one is still sneezing. She's eating/drinking ok, and comes out with spurts of energy haha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Playful Pup

Often when rats get into a new home, they sneeze a lot because they aren't used to the new surroundings. I would wait a week or two, and if most of the sneezing hasn't cleared up by then, take them to a vet.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Sneezing is normal for them when they first come to their new home

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 10:33 PM

sneezing is normal, dont worry. you should watch for other symptoms though: lack of activity, heavy breathing, coughing, runny nose or eyes, and weird gunk around the eyes ect. even if none of those show up after about a week you might want to take it to the vet any way

Tags
rat