New Rats Sneezing - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Question New Rats Sneezing

Well, I've had Jack and Apollo now for 4 days and they keep sneezing a lot. The sneezing is not a rapid succession, but every few minutes Jack sneezes once, sometimes twice. Apollo does it much less frequently.
I'm getting worried because they don't seem stressed out anymore, though they don't show any other signs of illness. Their breathing sounds fine, there's no porphyrin discharge, and they seem just fine, besides the sneezing. I've heard that new rats can go through a "sneezing stage" when they first come home. Has anyone experienced this? How long does it last? Should I be worried now? At what point do I call the vet?

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

Hmm,mine occasionally sneeze...people sneeze,so do rats.
So it could just be normal...but what kind of bedding are you using?
Just want to mention pine& cedar is a no-no.

Do the ratties have a runny nose or eyes?

It may just be normal sneezing.
Maybe you used something that tickles their nose (air freshner,some sort of scent) that can be whats causing the sneezing.
If they have runny eyes/ nose,could be a respitory infection.
(sorry about my spelling).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I just use regular Carefresh bedding. They don't have runny noses or eyes. My older rats are fine in the house, in fact, they seem healthier here than they did in my apartment at school. The little guys sneeze a lot more than is normal. Apollo probably 10 times an hour, Jack probably 20 times an hour. Just an estimate. If they are relaxing they seem fine, but when they are active they start sneezing.

Maureen

Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

Ah. Hmm,sorry I was no help @ all.
I remember not that long ago when I
first got into rats I asked about sneezing because I thought they had a RI (they didnt).

It does sound like they sneeze a lot.
Do you think theres any products in the room they play in that could be making them sneeze?
It could be the littlest thing.
If you still think no,then I would make a trip to the vet just to see what is on the go.It does sound like a lot of sneezing,but I think the runny nose/ eyes is an indication of a RI,& they don't have that,so I'm at a loss
Hopefully someone can come along that can help,I apologize .

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Thanks for responding. It's good to know that yours didn't have an RI when they were sneezing. Hopefully it's just something in my house. Not that it's good if it is, but at least it wouldn't be an RI and hopefully I could get rid of it.

PS. I think I will still take them to the vet, but of course I'm going out of town this weekend for my brother's graduation, so it will have to wait until I get back.

Maureen

Six new rats

Last edited by mtmaughan; 05-18-2007 at 11:33 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 11:54 PM
RAT ADDICT

How do their lungs sound? Any labored breathing or weird noises?

Are they still sneezing alot? Sneezing is quite normal in rats when they are in new surroundings...but if they continue to sneeze,thats not a good sign.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Adolescent Pup

My Juliet sneezes a lot too, but her breathing sounds fine. But mainly when she is active or smelling something. But now with summer coming she is sneezing. She has no signs of a RI. I have taken her to the vet two times (when I first got her and then recently) and both times she was fine. The vet said she must be allergic to something in the air. He said there is a lot of pollen out now. When I first got her she didn’t really sneeze, so I doubt she is allergic to something in my house (I didn’t change anything or do anything different). Guinevere doesn’t sneeze at all so I doubt that Juliet is sick. Plus, Juliet would have shown signs of being sick, the vet would have noticed, and Guinevere would have gotten sick as well.
Maybe your rats just have allergies. Around where I live it is getting to be allergy season. But a vet check up never hurts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

It cou'ld be a lot of things actu'ally. Do you' have any strong smells arou'nd them Like candles or insence or air freshener things? Is there smoke arou'nd them? Are you'r windows open? You' said that theyu're on carefresh. Carefresh is actu'ally VERY du'sty. Stick you'r hand down in the bag and pu'll it ou't and I garantee you' itu'll be covered with du'st. Ecobedding or yesterday news are good beddings if you' think that itu's the bedding thatu's making them sneeze.
[
[When you' have them ou't try to see if theyu're sneezes are dry or wet.

*Missy*
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I took them to the vet, and he said they look perfectly healthy. And they didn't even sneeze at all in the office. So we were pretty sure it was something in the house. Nobody smokes or anything, but our air conditioning is out, so we've had the windows open. The vet said that could be the cause. I really hope we get it repaired soon, both for their sake and mine... It's getting hot!

Maureen

Six new rats

Tags
carefresh bedding