new rats on their way.. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

new rats on their way..

right, i've got three baby girls on their way and i'm buiding them a cage big enough for them plus Kim.

i've never had baby rats before, so could someone run me through what i should expect from getting them onwards please?

also, the pet shop has a rat that belongs to the shop. he's called Ronnie i think. they left him to his own devices because they said he didn't really want to be handled. he has tumours now, and i was thinking i might take him off of their hands and show him some love before he goes off to the big cage in the sky. obviously i wouldnt be keeping him with my girlies, but because i am making a cage big enough for the four girls, i would have a spare cage. i could keep him in there. do you guys think taking him off of their hands is a good idea? they did offer him to me a while ago when i was crazy desperate to find rats because on of mine had to be put down and the other one was so lonely. if they dont want to give him to me i could always offer to buy him because rats aren't expensive.

thankyou
Mark

as a little note: the pet shop isn't a bad one, they just think he doesnt want attention. i think he's bored.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I had a rat that i never held because she was terrified when held but liked watching me. and she had friends... does he have friends in his cage?

remember you should quantine

[/CENTER]

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

it's just him, which was why i figured he was pretty bored in there. i've only seen him once because he's never up in the hours the shop is open. and he's on a wire floor cage, so i think my cage would do his little feet better. i think he's getting old now, so he wont be around for too long, but i think it's better to have a good ending than be a dull story lol.

how long is the quarantine for?

Babies:
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Will It Ever Change?

aww yay girlies! i think you getting that boy is a sweet idea. i bet with some treats and attention he'll come right around! the quarantine is usually 2 weeks (what I do anyways)

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you would want to get the girls first wait two weeks when they are quantined then get the boy if you only have those 2 cages....

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

can i just put them in a different room? i was reading about it just now and a site said you should put them in a different building. i dont think i can do that. i dont know if i can put them in a different room either. it will probably be tricky, but i'll find a way.

i'm showing my hamster on sunday, do i need to quarantine her as well?

Babies:
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hamsters and rats cannot transmit illness to one another because they are different species. It shouldn't be necessary to quarantine your hamster after the show.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thankyou guys!

Babies:
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 10:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

YAY! New ratties are always exciting.I would take the male and give him some love for the remainder of his life.

I quaratine for 2-3 weeks and yes,you can use a seperate room.I quaratine my rats in a seperate room and things go well.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *