New Rattery Site! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Smile New Rattery Site!

Got an official site up for our rattery! Check it out: link removed by moderator

Also babies expected to be born next week.

Last edited by Sasami; 10-27-2010 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Removed link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

If you keep crossing blue rats with russian blue rats you are going to keep having black babies. The 2 blues are genetically different.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I didnt breed her to a blue again.

I know that if I put her with a blue she will get all blacks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Hey there,

Cute ratties (of course when /aren't/ they cute).

Re: the rattery site, what's your goals with it? Were you looking for feedback, constructive criticism, or just looking for potential buyers?

I'm asking because as you may have likely seen with your research, breeding is a hot button topic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you!

No I like getting feedback. I love and I am always willing to learn new things.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 06:35 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Things I like:

All your pictures. They all are cute as buttons.

The clean layout with good use of color and decorative elements. It's always refreshing to see a good layout on a site. You've got a good artistic eye.

A few of many things I’d want to know (IE: See somewhere on the site either clearly or some indication thereof that lets me know it would be easy to find out):

Who’s your mentor?

How long have you worked with breeding rats under said mentor?
What’s your adoption process?
What are the lines you're working with?
Where did you get your stock?
What are your rats’ genealogies as far back as you know?
What details are there on each rat’s health and temperament-good bad and ugly?
What’s your rattery's philosophy and specific goals?. (Everyone always says they are breeding for ‘health, temperament, and type’ in that order).
Are those high whites in your breeding stock?
What are your goals with the pairing you have made?
How old is your stock- D.O.B.s/ages at each breeding?
Why are you charging different prices?
Why are you using inconsistent non-standard terms?
Do you cull and how?

I see many, many red flags that hint to me that while you might be a long time ratty owner who knows how to take care of your pet rats well, you present yourself as having questionable qualifications to be a reputable breeder. I’m speaking as someone who has less than 12 months first hand rat experience but who is simply a well-informed buyer who has an interest in doing my part to help better the pet rat plight.

It doesn’t mean I won’t buy from a new rattery who honestly doesn’t have a lot of experience yet or have perfect long established lines, but they’d have to be honest and transparent and clearly be striving towards becoming a reputable breeder. I know anyone who is well established in the rat world in the US will be a lot harsher than me.

And for good reason with the proliferation of ignorant back yard breeders and mills destroying what would otherwise be healthy, gentle, and beautiful lines of rats and doing nothing but contributing to the extreme overpopulation and misery of our fast breeding little guys for their own personal gain, be it profit or 'just because I wanted to breed', so be prepared and willing to learn, change, and answer honestly whenever needed.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 10-26-2010 at 07:01 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you for your input. I will consider what you said.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 06:11 AM
Official Loofah Tester

You're quite welcome.

I am still very interested in the answers to my questions if you'd be willing to share. Some you may not have considered, so don't know yet, and that's fine to answer 'I don't know yet', but you'd probably want to seriously consider backing off breeding until you do have the answers. I know anyone on this board or other rat board would be willing to help you improve, after all, we NEED good breeders. They just need to be GOOD. And good means you are willing to do the homework, ask the questions, take criticism (often hard), and improve. You'd need to set yourself apart from the hundreds of back yard breeders who flood the forums and be dedicated to learning.

I'm sure you've already walked that path with all of your bird experience so you know what I mean. The ease of reproducing rats is the very thing that makes it inadvisable to breed them because as you know, uncareful pairings can ruin a line in just a couple of years or less, and of course in the worst cases add hundreds or thousands of unwanted rats in that same time.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 10-27-2010 at 06:26 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 06:39 AM
Rodentologist

I would also add that as a rattie owner I would really be concerned by the number of litters you've got on the ground at the same time. You've got 3 planned due within a week of each other, and 30+ rittens are hard to socialize (heck, it's hard to socialize a SINGLE litter).

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I find it very harsh for you to be judging me and basically calling me a bad breeder. Telling me to back off from breeding just because so far I havent met your expectations. The info you are asking for is available for people who are interested in my ratties. Before you go judging someone you dont know you should really look at yourself before criticizing someone. To publicly address someone with an inquisitive questionnaire just to fill your needs is unexceptable! Just because I dont have all these questions answered on my site does not consider me a bad breeder. I am willing and have done my research, asked questions, and I am improving and learning as a breeder. I welcome positive criticism not pure negative criticism that is public to everyone to read. Especially not the type of criticism that your performing telling someone to stop breeding until I meet your expectations. I have set myself apart from the backyard breeders for which I am not oneof them. I am not flooding the forums I just simply posted my link to my site.

I dont just breed all my rats at one time, I have people on my waiting list for babies. FYI! we only intended on two active litters, but to our suprise a young female we had purchased from a "reputable breeder" was pregnant. So even reputable breeders with many YEARS of experience can make mistakes!!!
So please back off unless you have something education and postive to provide. I would really appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Cali Critters
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCritters View Post
I find it very harsh for you to be judging me and basically calling me a bad breeder. Telling me to back off from breeding just because so far I havent met your expectations. The info you are asking for is available for people who are interested in my ratties. Before you go judging someone you dont know you should really look at yourself before criticizing someone. To publicly address someone with an inquisitive questionnaire just to fill your needs is unexceptable! Just because I dont have all these questions answered on my site does not consider me a bad breeder. I am willing and have done my research, asked questions, and I am improving and learning as a breeder. I welcome positive criticism not pure negative criticism that is public to everyone to read. Especially not the type of criticism that your performing telling someone to stop breeding until I meet your expectations. I have set myself apart from the backyard breeders for which I am not oneof them. I am not flooding the forums I just simply posted my link to my site.

I dont just breed all my rats at one time, I have people on my waiting list for babies. FYI! we only intended on two active litters, but to our suprise a young female we had purchased from a "reputable breeder" was pregnant. So even reputable breeders with many YEARS of experience can make mistakes!!!
So please back off unless you have something education and postive to provide. I would really appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Cali Critters
No one called you a bad breeder.

I'm just going to step in here and point out that you asked for feedback and that's what you got. I already let the fact that you posted a link (which isn't allowed with your post count, it's advertising) slide but if can't calm down, I'm closing this thread and removing the link.

As for the actual topic here, why is that information only available if someone wants to buy a rat? Why not just put it on the website? When I'm looking for a breeder to purchase an animal from I don't want to have to e-mail the breeder just to get basic info like that. If I was looking at your site as a potential buyer, I would immediately move on since that info not being there would make me feel like you're hiding something. Is that the case here? Probably not...but I'm just letting you know how many people would perceive your website. The average pet owner just buys rats at the nearest pet store, it's usually the more "serious" rat owners who check out breeders and rescues. They'll want to see the kind of info that Storyseeker asked about .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Every rattery site I gone to basically doesn't have any of this info. Why do I have to have a mentor listed. If people want to know the age of my rats( I am not breeding 1 1/2 yrs plus) also i am not breeding pet store rats if that's what you want to know. I get all my breeders from other reputable breeders and meet the parents of my ratties. I have just made this site and I did have my ratties on my other site at first. Now with my actual site for my rattery that I am just putting together I am finding info that would be good to add. I'm not even done with it. I will be adding important information as needed.

Please remove this entire thread and also remove me from the site.

Sincerely,

Cali Critters
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Rodentologist

I guess I'm confused, I've seen plenty of ratteries with this info, like EagleEye and Evergreen. No one can really force you to put up complete information, but asking for input, getting input you didn't like, and then basically stomping your foot and asking to delete your account is a bit... odd.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'll close this thread but I'm not sure if I can delete your account. There shouldn't be a need to.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Closed Thread

Tags
rats