Newbie! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Newbie!

Hi everyone I'm new here, been reading lots of the threads and decided to join the site! I am a proud owner of two male rats, brothers and about a year old. I've had them for about two months, and am in the progress of socializing them, as they have not been handled much before :/
In the beginning they were scared to death, squeeked and ran away once they saw movement (i have them in the livingroom), but with aLOT of patience, they have started to accept me, feeding from my hand and waiting for me to come and talk to them/ give them food. I had to use a harsh way; removing all food from their cage, in order to "force" them to come to me/my hand and eat (read the method here actually). They have become super-curious, and I've decided that today will be their first playtime-day! I'll let them run around in the bathroom (no wires, dangerous places), and put some bowls, toys etc for them to explore on the floor.

But.. I have no names. Uhm, one is albino - white and red eyes, and he's a bit scared of sudden sounds/movement. He's not a biter, but will nibble to see what it is. Has to wait for his brother to explore before he will follow!
The other is brown/white, and has more courage than his brother! Always around in the cage to see what's going on, and (now) comes running if I'm coming to the cage, because he knows that there's food involved :')
I've twisted my brain for names, but I'm completely blank! So, help would be awesome^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 07:51 AM
Playful Pup

Welcome from a fellow newbie Sometimes, I choose names I like or sometimes people I've known or celebrity names. Another possibilty--a characteristic of your rodent. For example: "Shy".

Last edited by littlecritter; 09-24-2010 at 07:53 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Welcome to Paw-Talk!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Welcome, and good luck with playtime! Just continue to be patient with them and take it slowly, and I'm sure it will go fine!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks^^
Playtime went ok, they were nervous and took their time when leaving the cage to explore, but they walked around, climbed and sniffed. But the bad part was to get them into the cage.. the white one squeeked when I tried to lift him into the cage, because they didn't want to go themselves... But I consider it a success, and they got yoghurt as a treat ^^

Tags
names