Newbie & Rat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Newbie & Rat

Hello everyone
My daughter wanted a rat for Christmas, I said no way, amouse ok. We already have a guinea pig.
I went t the store and saw the cutest rat everand after chatting with the employee I found out that rats are way better the really attach to etc.
I cuddled her a bit and fell in love with her and brought her home.
Do you guys have any ointers for me? She is still a baby but seems to be very tame, what can I put in her cage to keep her from getting bored? As soon as I can get a bigger cage I will get her a sister, I was planing on a mouse so I got a smaller cage.
I would appreciate a lil guidience.

Thanks a bunch
Anja
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 04:43 PM
Formerly known as Lucy_Madden

good choise! i LOVE rats!! in this moment i have 16 how old is your daughter just for curiosity? well rats needs company,i mean friends,so i think you should buy another rat to play with her,or she will be very sad

My pets:

2 yorkshires (Ankh and Amy)
4 rats (Aaron, Thor, Lee)
1 hamster (Panda)
13 Guinea piggies
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 05:01 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Hi and to PT! Look forward to hearing more about you, and seeing pics of the rat!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

My daughter is a very mature 11. And she begged me for over a year now, she helps her lil sister take care of the guinea pig and me with the dogs.
We are big animal lovers
I will get a new cage for her around the first of jan. and a compnion for her as well.
I am suprised how tame she is, she is still a baby but she comes to my finger and climbs right into my hand up my arm, very cute.
I couldn't help it but show her to my daughter already LOL.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks Bunny, I try to get a picture of her.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 06:13 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hello and ! A rat can be kept on its own but they ideally like company so maybe getting it a friend of the same sex whilst shes still a baby would be a good idea so they can bond. Rats don't need over big cages but as big as you can afford is best, they love to climb so ropes and fruit twigs are great for them to ramble over. They also like wheels but it must be a rat wheel and it must be solid in order for them to be safe as they can easily trap their tails and feet in an open wheel. Basically rats don't need over much to keep them amused but what they do have they tend to make use of and are very amusing! Look forward to hopefully seeing some pictures soon as i love rats

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you all so much!
My flash on my digital camera doesn't work and it is already dark here so the picture isn't the greatest, but I will take a better one tomorrow outside.
Oh is it normal for rats to squeek when they explore on you? She lays in our hair and goes inside our sweaters, it is soooo cute.
For some reason my posts don't show up, hmmmm??

Anyways here is Zoey:

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Welcome to PT! Can't wait to see pics!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Hello, and welcome to PT... here's a very good website about rats:

http://www.curiosityrats.com 8)

Dimaris

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

Hi and welcome to PT!!

Definitely get her a friend. They are highly social animals and do 100% better with a buddy. As for cages, I recommend Martins cages. http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/
The smallest I would get for 2 girls is the R-670, but the more room the better, for toys and things (...and more rats. ) I have 2 boys in the R-685, and feel that it is the perfect size.

Wheels aren't necessarily a must for rats, as they are very intelligent and to them, I guess it seems quite silly to run around and go nowhere. It's more likley that girls will use them, so you may want to try it. I loke the Wodent Wheels, and you can actually order one on the Martins website. If you do get one and the girls use it...they will probably get a wheely tail. It's actually really cute, their tails get all curly.

As for food: http://www.ratsrule.com/diet.html
It is very good for rats, and they love it. Buying all the ingredients is fairly cheap, too...believe it only cost me $10. It also lasts quite a while...and my guys are little porkers and get two full bowls of food a day.

For things in the cage: Mine love their wooden house and hammock. I also have a few ferret toys for them (balls with bells and things in the middle), and bird toys. It's kind of hard finding toys, I usually wander into the ferret/cat/bird sections of pet stores. Anything that may stimulate their mind is good.

If you have anymore questions, please ask!

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 07:13 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Great advice everyone.

Quote:
what can I put in her cage to keep her from getting bored?
Definitely get her a friend. They really need and love the company. They love to climb so I would get a tall wire cage with levels, and get hammocks and things for them to lay on. They also like to play with stuff. Mine like bird toys or dog toys (the rope kind) and I hang them from the top. They love to climb up it or play tug-of-war with it!

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 07:18 PM
Formerly known as Lucy_Madden

Quote:
A rat can be kept on its own
would you like to live alone?

My pets:

2 yorkshires (Ankh and Amy)
4 rats (Aaron, Thor, Lee)
1 hamster (Panda)
13 Guinea piggies
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 07:27 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_Madden
would you like to live alone?
I agree with that. There is about an 8-10 hours period of time where they have no one (when you are asleep). This also happens to be when they are most active, and a friend really comes in handy then. When I'm going to sleep, I often here my boys tumbling around wrestling with each other.

While it's probably not going to *kill* them if they don't have a rat buddy, they will be so much happier with one. Because let's face it, no matter how much time we spend with them, we can't be there 24/7 to groom, wrestle, and sleep with our rats.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 07:43 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by anja92
For some reason my posts don't show up, hmmmm??
Your first 10 posts are moderated, that's why they don't show up immediately.

Welcome to Paw Talk!

Rhonda

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlette
Your first 10 posts are moderated, that's why they don't show up immediately.

Welcome to Paw Talk!
Oh ok thanks

Tags
animal lover, animal lovers, bird toys, guinea pig, pet store, pet stores, social animals, wire cage