Newbie rattie mom! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Newbie rattie mom!

Ok I have two rat babies (not sure how old they are) I have NEVER owned a rat before much less two! They are Pinky ( Fancy rat the white with pink eyes) and Brain (my dumbo). I have a problem with Brain she keeps peeing down my back inside my hoodie! She will not poop on me but she has NO problem peeing on me. and Pinky the little spaz will poo no matter what! how do you get them to stop doing that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Well first of all, rats will mark you with pee to claim you as part of their pack, which is a nice thing, and also, they are just babies and babies can do a bit more of the pooping and stuff when they are young...my two boys did that a bit when they were babies. It tapers off, but they are young and probably nervous right now. Give them lots of love and patience!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

my rat louna used to pee on me all the time now that she's older, she holds it in and she never poos or pees on me ever! just a little dribble pee once in a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

glad to know that its gonna "hopefully" taper off. I can put Pinky in her ball and she rolls all day but Brain would rather sit on my shoulder or in my hoodie pocket.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 06:45 AM
Playful Pup

How are your new babies, doing? Rats and mice are treated like disposable vermin in our society. If people could only learn how wonderful they are. I have 13 mouse children
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm glad that your girls like the ball, my rats just pout-and sit there-or pee in it so that I take them out! Once they realize that you aren't going to eat them, or feed them to something, and are part of their family, they'll stop doing that. One thing that I always do with "new" rats is keep one "rattie" hoodie for a few days that I wear while holding them-that way they don't feel the need to mark it up as much, because they've already peed on it! But be sure to wash it every couple of days!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I am surprised your ratty likes a ball to roll in too. I never even tried a ball with my boy rats because all of my rat information books said that rats tend to panic and get upset being in a closed ball like that, so I said, "Forget it". They just started getting exercise when they were babies by running all over our bed with blankets on top of it for them to tunnel under and they loved it. Are you sure your rat likes being in the ball or is she just trying to get out of it, but the ball just keeps rolling around while she is trying to "run" her way out of the thing?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 08:32 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Make sure the ball is big enough for the ratties. If you got one for their baby-size, get a bigger one when they grow older. I've heard it's bad for them because it arches their back too much when it's too small! (please, someone tell me if I'm wrong!)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

No Dustette, you are not wrong. You are completely right. I have the same information about balls in my rat books and I have read the same information from other rat parent posts. I just don't dig enclosed balls of any kind for rats in general. Too many problems and not enjoyable for the rat. Just my opinion and from what I have read in my books.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 11:59 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I think in general they are too small, and that your rats can get their feet stuck in the "air slots" I really don't think that they are safe for many small pets, but they are so popular they aren't likely to stop selling them any time soon. Although-I will admit-that my hamster Tori-loved to chase my cats around while she was in her ball-I should have taken a video of it-but never did-it was really funny. My other little evil hamster of doom-Onichambara (dwarf hamster) discovered early on that if she would ram hard enough into the oven drawer to pop the top off!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields

Tags
dumbo rat, fancy rat, potty training