The Newest Alabama Ghost Rats Are Home - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

We have a friend who sews and is bringing all of the rats a bunch of hammocks. Their personalities are revealing themselves to me big time. Clara is a mix between Darcy (sweetness) and Aggie (attitude). I laughed myself breathless watching the three of them play tug of war with the flannel pan lining between their cages. Darcy and Aggie above working in tandem (tiny heave hos between them could be heard), and Clara below clinging to the bars for all she was worth and using her deadweight to help pull it back down.

Luster is proving to be appropriately named. His lust for life is hilarious. He is zippy to the max. We have a little mini wading pool in their play area, and he likes to hug the outer edge and zip from one side to the other. I can hear him laughing as I try to catch him. Here I am, zip. Peekaboo, now I'm here. Zip, nope here. Zip. Nope here.

Now that he's comfortable with the open floor spaces in the bathroom he is loving running around and exploring. I love seeing a rat at full gallop. BrrrrpaPrrrpaBoingyBoingyBoing. And then he'll put on a burst of lightening speed and suddenly halt, his ears vibrating to a stop like a twanged guitar string. Zzzzziiiiiipdoing-oing-oing-oing-oing.

He's the one who is already trying to find ways to climb and jump to the highest levels of the bathroom. He's also, much like Bugs Bunny, with dazzling dexterity and wit, bullrushing his way to the top of the mischief hierarchy. Everyone is so flummoxed and confused by him they're all like 'dang, dood, you're the boss already, fine!'. Even though he's fixed he's also jumping the others with surprizebutzex. But he's so lighthearted about it all. I keep thinking of Bunny Wigglesworth from Zorro the Gay Blade flouncing in all "Heere aye AM!"

I'm hoping he'll settle down with age so he's not pouncing on everyone. So far the others are tolerating him pretty well. If I start seeing stress in the others we'll reevaluate.

Waddle is my ear nibbler and food hogger. I'm seeing shades of a hardbody macho version of Zmei.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ha ha! Your sound effects are spot on! I could imagine every single sound, as if they were right out of a Looney Tunes cartoon, of course! Brilliant.

Your new kids' personality evolutions are going exactly as I was suspecting...zippy Luster boy, what an adorable silly he is! And Clara, ahh..shades of Aggs and also Darcy, a beautiful mix!

And, yes, Waddle Boy a macho version of Zmei, with the same addiction to num nums, food hoarder pro and an appetite to rival Godzilla. And a people lover. Sigh! I love it! I had thought of Zmei immediately when you first started telling me about Waddel.

I am of course, already in love with your three new bubs and I submit myself as honorary Auntie to these munchkins!

Give kisses and hellos to your sweeties and a big welcome to the family from Auntie Vlad in Seattle!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

The boys want to celebrate 4th of July with their favorite Auntie.

Corn Cob Night...4th of July Version! Clara stole the show on film, though that was only because she was very daintily holding her ground most of the time. The boys were zipping in and out of frame constantly. Appearances aside, they were so much more dainty and precious in their approach to the corn than my old crew. LOL

Moving in for the kill...

And pounce! Clara makes her bit for the yummy end, muscling in on Mr BigButt. "You needs a diet anyways..."

Clara: Freeze guys! Mind the personal space!

Clara: Tch...Philistines...

Clara: Every picture you taked, very flash you maked, disturbed us while we ate, but I'll be watching you.... (apologies to Sting)

Waddel: Yo babe. Shares with a brother? Please?
Clara: Grrrrrrrr.

Luster: Then can /I/ has sum...?

Clara: Fine but this is still my personal space.

(hmmm. Say, btw...does Luster look ruby eyed to you? Wouldn't that make him another color besides mink?)

Last edited by Storyseeker; 07-04-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Gahhhhh!!! Cute overload here!! Happy Fourth of July to your adorable kiddos!

What awesome photos! You have the best pictures, Story, I swear.

LOVED the captions, as per usual (who does not love your Storytelling captions I ask?)

This SO reminded me of the famous corn cob fest (IS MINE FROM HERES TO HERES!! said Zmei, my sweet squishy love)

Awwww, my little sweeties, having their first corn on the cob party on their first 4th of July with their new mom, I love it so much...and boy it brings back memories of your original Ghost Boys. Sigh!

My two boys are busy celebrating 4th of July by....um...taking long naps! Heheh. They woke up a bit ago for a piece of chilled banana slice, smacked their lips, groomed, then SPLONK, back to their naps. Woo hoo, par-tee time here!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

Last edited by Vladina; 07-04-2013 at 11:27 PM.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 05:08 AM
Newborn Pup

I love that white one's red eyes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

He's a change in my world. My children had always had the usual aversion to pink eyed rodents, so I couldn't talk them into one for years. I'm learning all kinds of things. Like how little he actually is able to see. How bad his sense of smell is. And of course how flippin' pretty he is.

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladina View Post
My two boys are busy celebrating 4th of July by....um...taking long naps! Heheh. They woke up a bit ago for a piece of chilled banana slice, smacked their lips, groomed, then SPLONK, back to their naps. Woo hoo, par-tee time here!

Aw. How hysterical. Eat, sleep, be merry? Nah, I'll sleep. You sleep boys, as often as you like. I've had laid back lazies for so long I forgot how much energy youngsters bring. These new youngsters are a handful.

post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Awww, yeah, I bet you are quite busy with your new youngsters!

My boys said, "Thanks Auntie Story, we shall take your advice and sleep away!"

Yes, Waddel has to be the most adorable, sweet faced pink eyed white I have ever seen. He just has such the precious personality as well! I loves him.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

*Noogies the boys * Precious furfaces!

Waddel really is a handsome hunk, isn't he? He's so loving. Say, did I ever show you a picture of his tail? Every time I hold him I wonder how anyone could have done that to him.

Me and Mr. Floppy Tail:

This picture was taken last weekend.

So, sharing time.
My best friend of many years is a sweetheart, but she was genuinely frightened of my rats when she first saw them. So after putting up with me keeping rats for so long, on her visit this past weekend, I got these shots:

Auntie D modeling the blanket I talked about the other day, now dubbed The Cloak of Rat Summoning:

First contact was toe curling for her. Luster just wanted to straighten her glasses you see:

But soon, with Waddel providing moral support, she has Luster offering kisses.

Before the night was over, we had this:

Daw.

And just for good measure, here's another shot of me and the crew, and one of dinner that night:

Last edited by Storyseeker; 07-11-2013 at 11:16 PM.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 12:28 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

AWWW!! Great photos! And your sweet fur babes, wooing your friend into submission with their charm (as rats always do if given a chance).

That was great to see! And that dinner photo was just beyond adorable. What sweet little munchkins you have! So I take it your friend overcame her fears and decided your kiddos were sweetie pies?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Yep!

Look what Auntie D made for them:

For the boys:

I love the little butterflies embroidered:

And a set just for the girls:

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Awww! Beautiful hammocks! And a set just for the girls, no less! Just adorable.

That was a great idea having Auntie D put on the "safe poncho" with the kids, so they would feel comfy with her. Nice!

So did Auntie D make those hammocks ahead of time and bring them with her for the visit, or did she make them while she was at your place?

What neat pictures!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

She made them for me ahead of time. I mentioned I needed new ones as my other girls were very hard on my hammocks. Auntie D is good to me.

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 05:10 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Aww, that is so nice of her! The hammocks are so adorable too.

Howdy to Auntie D from Auntie V.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

She's in NY this week, but when she comes back I'll tell her personally!

So...Youngsters are so fun. It's funny watching them and the older ladies monkey cling to the bars to clamor over who gets let out first. The answer is, the old ladies get lap time in the mornings, the younger kids get floor time at night, and they rotate out with the new playpen.

Of the new kids, Luster is killing me tonight. He has found out if he nips my butt, I squeak and jump. He clearly finds it hysterical. I'll hand-goblin him away, and he's poinging right back with a ferret war dance. He waits until I'm completely relaxed before finding a soft bit of exposed leg or hip flesh to tweak again. I'm teaching him new words.

Waddel and Luster play fight like it's going out of style. Luster can't be stopped though. He's half Waddel's weight and still pins him 85 percent of the time. Waddel likes to lay UNDER me too. If I shift in the least where I'm laying on the floor, he'll beeline up under whatever body part has risen high enough to squeeze under. I have to be very careful moving around. It's like he's begging to be bellysmooshed.

Clara has the most sensitive ears of any rat. They're always moving and listening. When I talk to her, they're like radar dishes. She's also very methodical and deliberate by nature. You can see the little wheels spinning over an idea across a span of days. She's one rat who I can't take for granted.

Tags
alabama ghost boys, clara, rescue