Nibbling - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Still Waiting

Nibbling

So my two new ratties that I got a week ago on Wednesday have been incredible. One is still scared but I think that they are starting to come around.
But they ALWAYS nibble. Whenever I am walking around my room and they are out they always nibble my toes! It tickles but I was just curious as to why they do that. My last three rats never really nibbled, they just gave me kissies. I mean, whenever I first got them one of them kind of bit/nibbled me, but now the nibbles are settling down, they don't really hurt just kind of tickle. Just wondering if it is out of curiosity or what.
Thank you
Taban

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rest in peace my sweet babies; Sweetie and Butterz.
You will forever be missed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

They're just tasting you. Rats can't see very well so they have to use their other senses to learn their way around. Rats will literally know your body better then you do.

Don't worry about it unless they're nibbling too hard. Sometimes they don't realize how hard they bite.

*Missy*
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

mine always bite my feet. and ears, their way to say stop what youre doing and pet me/put me on the floor/ give me food/ pay attention/ stop talking...

[/CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 12:50 AM
RAT ADDICT

Don't worry,nibbling is normal rat behaviour! They taste things this way to see if it is edible,they also use nibbling as a form of play or affection!

I have to add,alot of rats like to go after feet too!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 01:01 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Yea they're suckers for toe jam.

*Missy*
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Still Waiting

Thanks guys. I was just making sure and wondering as to why. Maybe they were annoyed? Curious? Excited? I didn't really know. At first it kind of startled me just because he grabbed my toe like he does his food and started nibbling on it, I thought he was going to bite for a second Thanks though!
The gray one is still kind of scared of me and will run away but he will come for an occasional nibble here and there. Ok I must stop rambling now. Thanks!

Rest in peace my sweet babies; Sweetie and Butterz.
You will forever be missed
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect
Thanks guys. I was just making sure and wondering as to why. Maybe they were annoyed? Curious? Excited? I didn't really know. At first it kind of startled me just because he grabbed my toe like he does his food and started nibbling on it, I thought he was going to bite for a second Thanks though!
The gray one is still kind of scared of me and will run away but he will come for an occasional nibble here and there. Ok I must stop rambling now. Thanks!

Sounds like love nibbles to me Our rats used to do that all the time when we had them, it's definitely normal as everyone else has said.

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue