nocturnal?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

nocturnal??

ive got some questions about mice. first off, are they nocturnal? can you hear them walking around and chewing on things at night? im not a very good sleeper, so if i have a chance of getting one it would have to be quiet. also how many mice would it be ok to keep in a ten gallon tank? thanx.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Adolescent Pup

Yes they are nocturnal, and can be very noisy at night. So if you do get any I would keep them in a seperate room. Also I am not a big fan of keeping any rodent in a tank. Because mice have alot of amonia in there urine, aquariums don't provide enough ventilation. However, I would say 4 mice would be comfortable. Also if you plan to keep multiple mice together, I would get girls. Boys usually cannot get along and will fight to the death. Hope that helps!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:45 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Mice tend to be a mixture of both nocturnal and diurnal, in a small colony theres always bound to be one mouse or another up and they do tend to be quite noisy scurrying round, playing in their wheel and digging both in the day and at night so probably not the best thing if you are going to keep them in your room but they do make fun pets

As for number of mice well all depends on its size i know you say ten gallon but is that 10 gallon with length or height? As if its height then the living areas going to be smaller then with a 10 gallon thats got length to it. I'd probably say a small colony of 3 females to start of with (if the tanks big enough on floor space) as you can always add to that number later on if you feel theres enough room, i started out with 3 and ended up with 30 mice at one point so very addictive

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 06:19 PM
I Own an Egg Pooper

My mice were all diurnal at first, at which time they did make a little bit of noise at night. However, they are so funny now! They have become conditioned to the light turning off!:
You see, they live in a Crittertrail 3, which has this long tube up one side leading to a little tiny ledge-type room. And after I've had them a while and they've learned that it gets quiet at night, and they don't get any attention or food then, so as soon as I turn out the light they crawl up the tube to the ledge, one by one, and go to sleep! It's soooooooo funny. haha

Either way, I recommend them as pets because they are so beautiful, fun, and lovable! Plus easily cared for and relatively inexpensive as a bonus!!!

-Tare

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 06:34 PM
Adolescent Pup

Yah my mice up mostly at night and they are not to noisy (i can sleep throught thunder storms thought) but they will usually wake up when i go into my room and mice are great pets!!

Julie

1 Cat (Jasmin)
3 Mice (Chloe, Zoey, Ruby)
2 Hedgies ( Briar and Noah)
Tons of Fish (Miracle, Pete, Champion, Moe, Joe)
Snails (Snailer, and friends)
2 Goats ( Amelia and Sage)
We miss you Ebony, Erin, Gracie, Gerri Rest In Peace
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 06:37 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

e is a mouse cage calculator. You enter the dimensions of the cage you plan to keep them in, and it tells you how many mice you can put in. http://www.geocities.com/funchy_crunchy/mcage.htm

If you get a cage instead of a tank, make sure that the space between the bars if small, cause they can get through almost anything. Also, as SugarLoveRats said, if you want to keep more than one, get females, cause it's highly probably that males will fight. Also, females are less smelly than males (still smelly, but less..).

Dimaris