is this normal? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

is this normal?

okay, my friend mary wanted a couple mice, and because im already attached to all of mine we decided to breed them, so she could have all but 1 of the babies. (this was when they were 7 weeks)

we bred blackjack and cocoa (two black mice) succesfully and now 8 days later i can already see a bit of a tummy on cocoa.... does a bit of a belly at 8 days mean that shes going to have lots? or is that just what they usually look like? she looks really healthy and shes still pretty active. ok thats one question, now anothr one

since then blackjack has been trying to "do it" with the other males in his cage! is this normal? or has he turned into a little gay guy? (like michael..... lol j/k) should i separate him and the others for a while? i know we couldnt afford to get the males fixed so yah

could it be that i bred them too early? (because i read on a website that said that they can be bred at 6 weeks)

also, i gave them a bunch of tissues this morning and dont you think its cute when they try to get those big tissues into such tiny holes? lol it took them like half hour! so cute

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 01:23 PM
I Own an Egg Pooper

A biggish belly, huh? Well, normally pregant mice don't start showing until about 14 days, and some don't even at that point! But I suppose there are always exceptions, and it is definitely possible that this early showing is due to a large litter! Also, have you been feeding her extra fat and protien (like puppy bisquits, etc.) to help her prepare for nursing, etc? Cuz that could contribute to weight gain! hehe
As far as blackjack goes, haha, maybe he just mated the first time and now he's in "mate mode", thinking that there might be a chance he can mate again. I bet he'll get over it. But that is funny! Maybe you should buy him a pink tutu! LOL, just jk.

-Tare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

lol

yah......... i hav been feeding all the females (cuz its impossible to feed just one a certain thing) that yummy bread that has like seeds n stuff in it, soaked in warm milk.......... they eat it for like 2 minutes and then patch buries it....... yah they enjoy it

blackjacks a little horny toad! (his new nickname, instead of horned its horny........)
it was hilarious when i first saw it! i was watching tv when all the sudden i heard squeaking and i look in the males cage and theres the horny toad goin at it! lol
so so disturbing!

i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

also, can i give the mice a rawhide bone thingy for them to chew on? or can mice not have those? whats the best thing to buy for them to chew on? i dont trust myself getting sticks from trees because i have no idea which tree is which..........

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Playful Pup

i'm no expert on mice cause gerbils are my thing but yeah i think u can give them a rawhide bone cause gerbils are alowed dog biscuits and doggy things so i think yeah!
also, coinsidence, u have 14 mice and i have 15 gerbils! i wanted mice but i think their too small for me cause gerbils are bigger. i might get rats but i love gerbils too much for now. wot do u feed ur mice cos in both my petshops i have NEVER seen any comersial mouse food.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 02:48 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

i sometimes give my rattie boys raw hide. i dont think nothing is wrong with it, but its not something your spose to do often. i am sure its fine for mice. you can get wooden toys at walmart or a petstore for them to chew on. they have cute fruit flavor ones shaped like bannanas or strawberries. if you are worried about the dye in them, they have some without die and petsmart, or petco. at walmart they have these cute little wooden squares with a hole in them for the mice to climb and play in. i KNOW they would love that!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

i feed them hamster/gerbil food. and like tons of treats.
i only wanted one mouse to begin with and patch turned out to be pregnant and so now theres 13.
i used to have a gerbil, her name was tasha but i gave her to my frend cuz she had never had a pet before and her parents wouldnt buy her one............... i didnt rilly give tash to her anyway,i pretended that tash was hers so her parents could see how responsible she was and buy her a gerbil, but little tash died a weeklater, last time i lend out animals to get that chick a pet!

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

*i mean 14
she had 13 babies

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

R.R.- thanx, you have just written the x-mas list for the mice! now i dont have to stand there for an hour and try to figure out what to get them, i can now concentrate on the others! lol

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

can i give them those alpo chew eez? cuz i hav a bunch of those

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 08:32 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

You can also give them the edible nylabones (buy the smaller ones) Also safe for gerbils. 8)

Dimaris

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 09:14 PM
Playful Pup

great, one more thing for the gerbils for christmas. Does anyone know any good toys for rodents or baisically any good gift for them cause i've only got 4 gifts , another 11 to go. if i don't get some then the gerbils will start being grumpy. ( they do it when one of them has got some thing like a sweet)

~JADE~

owned by 22 REALLY CUTE gerbils and 2 fish and VERY soon WOLVES!

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

omg! i wanna get them the little monkey bars! that would be so cute!

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-25-2004, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

just about 11 days and cocoa should have her little cuties! muahahaha the one i keep i shall name.......... toothpaste!!!!! bwahahaha!

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-25-2004, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mya_papaya
also, can i give the mice a rawhide bone thingy for them to chew on? or can mice not have those? whats the best thing to buy for them to chew on? i dont trust myself getting sticks from trees because i have no idea which tree is which..........
I would not give any rat or mouse a rawhide chew toy. It is my understanding that it will swell in their tummies and cause problems. But, since i do not give them this, I don't know from firsthand experience. Hust what I have heard.

Try a steak/ham/chicken bone leftover from one of your meals. I would make sure it is cooked. The marrow in these bones has lots of fats and protein in it. Good for their teeth too.

Tags
chew toy, dog biscuits, hamster food, rat food