Normal behaviour? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Question Normal behaviour?

Ok so i am having a few issues with my boys!! I have never heard of anything like this before and neither have i experienced it til now so i am hoping some of you other rats fans may be able to help me out! Recently i have lost 3 of my males they have all died through old age as my vet said they were all in perfect health.....so anyway my problem is...i have not been around when they had passed and the other boys have literally devoured the whole corpse of them all
There has been barely anything left for me to bury of any of them
I cant understand why they are doing it as it's not a hunger thing or anything because the food bowls are constantly full and have still had food in when i have found this has happened? Are they doing it to try and rid their home of the corpse i wonder? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.....i am very dumbfounded as i've never heard of it before???

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I think they are doing it to try and get rid of the body. In the wild it's not good to have dead animal smells around attracting predators, so they get rid of it.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

They must literally eat them as soon as they have died though because there is literally nothing left of them when i find them and i check on my rats every couple of hours apart from when i am in bed of course!!! :o(

*Carla*
I
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Its a totally instinctual thing like a mom who eats the afterbirth. It's not that common and something I hope never to experience

I am sorry

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

In that case i wish my rats would stop dying whilst i am not around!!! It's awful not even having anything left that resembles one of my babies my girls dont do it....is it just a male thing?? xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 08:03 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have had this happen before too...it is not fun!
They will eat dead ones to get rid of the body,it is instinct.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 03:35 PM

If you know that a rat isn't doing well, you can always remove it from that cage and put it by itself. That way, when the rat does die, the other ones can't eat it.
This has never happened to me. I was walking by Boru's cage when she had some sort of seizure. When Yuki died, I had her out by herself because she couldn't walk, and the other rats might've squished her or something.