Nursing Rat Losing Weight--Advice Appreciated! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Nursing Rat Losing Weight--Advice Appreciated!

My Slipperkins is nursing and "oops" litter of 12 rittens (full detains on "An Unforseen Disaster" thread), who are a week old today and growing well.

But she is getting SO thin! She ate everything in sight during her pregnancy, and now she is so finnicky, she seems to hardly nibble her favorites I am providing a good variety: greens, peas, eggs, chicken, oatmeal, bread soaked in ensure, grapes, bananas, and a variety of baby food and cereal. Also her stable "chow" of dog food and oats...which Lilspaz is helping me transition to quality lab block.

Any ideas? I hate to see her getting used up nursing...I even tried to supplemental feed the ritten with kitten milk but they did not cooperate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I don't have experience with pregnant rats, but have you tried cooked pasta? Other foods that rats tend to like a lot that also help to put weight back on are mayonnaise and avocado (in small amounts and not from the part near the seed). The other common foods you have already listed, so hopefully those will work. For the baby food, mine especially like butternut squash, sweet potato, apple/blueberry mix, green beans.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Gosh, I don't have any experience with nursing mothers either, but from all the foods you listed and the ones Breyer suggested, it sounds like your ratty mother has a full menu to choose from for fattening up. But she is finicky with the food eh? I hope others on the forum will chime in on this topic. Wish I could help! I will be interested to see what others say about this.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Playful Pup

how are her teeth? if they are too long/short then youre rat may not eat?

The Gang!
RIP MOJO
<3

The 'Goo's

The Terminator Fish~ Backwards Eddie
& more!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by degulover99 View Post
how are her teeth? if they are too long/short then youre rat may not eat?
Unlikely for this...short and long teeth mean nothing, its teeth that are growing crooked and not aligning with their corresponding tooth that are the problem. Bronny did this to me as well. Offer her everything you can think of, don't worry too much about nutritional content...I think Bronny ended up eating nachos with me and then her appetite returned. Watch our for diarrhea as well.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Part of the Pack

i have no idea, but i've heard scrambled/boiled eggs are good.

maybe i can find some information online for you, however i tihnk you're pretty good off listening to lil spaz

h;

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Part of the Pack

is she still getting plenty of water?

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

Tags
kittens, litter, nursing, rat