Odd mystery - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Odd mystery

Not sure if i should ask this question here. Recently I noticed in an old pair of boots in my mom's basement their were about 50 or so beans in only one boot. Then a few days ago I noticed in a pair of boxing gloves that had not been used for a few months about 30 to 40 lentils . On the other side of the basement she has a store room for these things but what put them in the boots and gloves on the opposite side of the basement about 30 ft away from the store room
Anyone hear of this before?

BM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Newborn Pup

She has either wild rats or mice living in her basement. If she's not seeing them or hearing them in the walls its probably mice as they're quieter and less obtrusive.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

We have have mouse traps because we have had mice in the past but can a mouse pick up a bean and travel 25 to 30 ft then hide that bean in a shoe There were 40 to 50 beans in that shoe. I was wondering if that is something a mouse does I did not think mice hide food I thought it might be a squirrel

BM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Newborn Pup

Mice can and do stash food and will take it for long distances. We find enormous piles of seeds from our rose of sharon bushes stashed by mice high up in the rafters of our garage. The mice must run about 30 feet away to the bushes, climb 6 or 7 feet up the trunk of the shrub, collect the seedpods, climb down, and run back and then climb 12 feet up into the rooftops to store them. They are very persistant.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I did not know that, Let me ask one more question. What is the best way to get rid of them in the basement. Right now i have several traps with peanut butter and I think I got rid of them anything else i can try?
This is not the first time we have had mice, I can't for the life of me figure out where they came from

BM
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Newborn Pup

Baited traps are the most effective and environmentally friendly method and given time will eradicate even a large mouse population. If you cannot find where they are entering and there are no small children or pets around you may wish to simply leave a few traps up permanently to catch any newcomers that may enter later on. The baited traps will not attract any more mice into the house then the storeroom of food is already.

Just for future information, a forum dedicated to the keeping of pet rats and mice may not be the best place to discuss the killing of them.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Sorry, I am new I thought this was the section to ask that question I will be more careful next time. Thanks again for your replies

BM