Odor Control - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Odor Control

I looove my little mice, but its no secret, they smell horrible! LOL I was wondering if anyone here has found the secret to odor control with their musky smell? I've tried almost all beddings I think. Right now we're using Carefresh Ultra and it does okay, but after about 2 days we can smell "mouse" when we enter the livingroom. Aside from changing the entire bedding every 2 days, what tips do you have for odor control?

Note: There are 3 mice in one 10-gallon tank with a mesh lid. I even put a layer of baking soda down underneath the bedding, and it doesn't seem to help.

Thanks for any advice you may have!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Wow. 34 views and not one reply. Nobody has *any* advice on bedding? :o
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well you could put bioodor in their water and that would help with the smell. Then what I recently did was go to a system of using fleece in most of the cage and using a litter pan with bedding in it. Then every couple of days you pull out the fleece and put in a new piece and just dump or spot clean the litter pan. When you get a load worth you wash the fleece in the laundry, much easier and cheaper than cleaning the whole cage often enough to keep the smell down. We found a dollar store that had fleece baby blankets for a dollar so it's very economic.

Don't be offended that you're not getting much response, no one's responded to my thread either. No one seems to be on this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! what is bio odor and where can i get it?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 10:03 PM

Well, Im not really sure. luvboyrats has a good idea I would also suggest getting a bigger cage. And thats the thing too. It may be the tank that is containing the smell more. With a cage its more ventilated. I would suggest getting a bigger cage. Good luck!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 12:01 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieR View Post
Thanks! what is bio odor and where can i get it?
It's this compound that comes in a squirt bottle for rats, ferrets, etc. You put some in their water bottle and it makes their various bodily functions smell less. You can get it at most petstores that cater to small animals.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Are these male or female mice?
Cleaning the cage too often can be a big cause actually. Mice will scent mark like crazy in a clean cage. I heard bio odor works but I've never used it. Also like someone else mentioned a bigger cage might be in order also. 3 mice whether they're male or female can stink up a 10 gallon in no time. If you have the space and you have help a 20 gallon will work fine but you might be help with cleaning it. I know I can't clean a 20 gallon by myself because I can't lift it and hold a trash bag to dump all the bedding out on cleaning day.

Also have you tried yesterday news? When I used that it worked REALLY well with odor control. You can mix it with anything you like if you don't think it's "fluffy" enough. Also everyday you can spot clean and take out wet spots and stray poops. Also check your water bottle to make sure it's not leaking.

I would stay away from baking soda under the bedding because mice and rats have very sensitive respiratory systems and baking soda can be inhaled easily.

*Missy*
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Best way to clean a large heavy cage--small handheld dust pan, scrapes it right up. Then you spray down with a weak bleach solution and wipe, spray water and wipe and repeat several times until it's good and rinsed, a perfectly clean cage without ever moving it!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 09:29 PM

I was having odor issues with my male mouse and I read on here to put a few drops of vanilla in the water bottle.I've been doing that for a couple weeks now and it has definately helped.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:46 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i would try a better ventilated cage if you can afford it, i know many cages have bars too big for mice but that would probably be the best option, or the fleece idea seams good, you could have precut sizes and just take out the fleece every day or every other. and only wipe out the cage every week or so unless needed so they are less likely to spray mark, i think yesterdays news was very good with my rats

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.