Oh my...mouse tumor - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Oh my...mouse tumor

So seems like I am having a lot of bad luck suddenly!
So much for "luck of the Irish" and a "lucky month" and all that! This month has sucked so far! A rat with an RI and now a mouse with a tumor!

I just noticed Sorcha has a small pea sized lump just under her arm.I cannot handle her without wearing gloves as she is very territorial and bites,so I have not been able to feel if it is hard or soft or moves or anything.It is about the size of a pea right now and is not bugging her from what I can tell.

I have only experienced a few mice with tumors and in those experiences,tumors grow really fast.I have never had a lump or tumor removed on a mouse.I do not have a lot of experience with mouse tumors though...can they be removed safely? Years ago I had a very ill mouse and when calling the vet,they told me they would not do mice as they were "too small"...but this was years ago and I since then I found an exotic vet,but I didn't ask him if he does mice as I never needed to before.

What should I do?
Should I leave it for now!?
I am sssssooooo stressed now it is not funny! What else will go wrong I wonder.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I am very sorry I would call the vet and ask him what you should do Unfortunetly Luck of the irish means bad luck as the irish were never lucky

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Haha,really? I didn't know that! I have bad luck like all the time,but sometimes (like this month) it is worse.

Thing is...the exotic vet,I normally don't go to him.I go to another vet with my rats and cats that I have been going to for a long time and I trust her.This exotic vet is not in St.Johns,he is in the next city over...meaning two buses to get to him.

I am going to call my normal vet tomorrow and see if they see mice now,because it has been a few years and maybe things have changed.If they don't or they tell me they are not experienced,then I will call Dr.D out in Mount Pearl and see what he says.And if I have to I will go out there.I personally have not gone to him.I have talked to him before and know people who have went to him and liked him.So we'll see.

* Lisa *

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

That sucks Hopefully your vet will know what to do for the poor little girl

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Is it mammary? I've read adding walnuts to a mouse's diet will shrink mammary tumors.

Edit: My mistake..they slow the growth. Google search: "walnuts mouse tumors" there's a list of different sites that state it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm so sorry for the recent luck

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Betta Bomb

Yikes
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

How's it going with your baby?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Sorcha is the same.I checked this morning and the lump is the same size.I have to handle her with gloves,she is so bitey.She is my only mouse that is super territorial like that.

Anyway when I called the vet today,it crossed my mind to ask about Sorcha because I was concerned about making an appointment for my rat and my normal vet was not there,so I forgot about asking about mice.Ugh! This week has been so stressful and I am forgetful lately...

I will have to try calling again Monday or just wait until I go in for my appointment next week.I am not too worried about her right now,cause the lump is small and has not gotten bigger since I first noticed it and it don't seem to be causing her harm.

* Lisa *

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

I hope they can see her and do something for her. I have owned and breed mice but have never had a tumer. And I have Irish in me and have a 50/50 chance of luck. when I am lucky its really lucky when I am not I am really unlucky so I have been their with the luck of the Irish. (which is no luck)
but I do wish you all the luck with her though. I have had tumers on other pets but not mice. So I have never personaly delt with it.
My feionce has I could ask him for some advice to give you. He use to raise mice long ago and mentored me.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.