Oh nooo.. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Cool Oh nooo..

Ive been bitten by the RAT bug
i want more rats LOL they are AMAZING
i was talking to my boyfriend and he says yeah we could maybe get another one as i have 2 boys already but i dunno if i could maybe put another one in with the 2 brothers i have they are still young maybe 10weeks now.. but i don't want any fights so i dunno what to doo LOL .
Anyone got any ideas ? .

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I had my rats in two pairs, and after Zorro died I introduced his brother to my other pair, who are brothers. It is possible to introduce another rat to your pair, but it won't necessarily be easy. Of course every situation is different and it will depend on the rats whether they can get along.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Yeah its just if i bring another boy home and they don't get on i havn't got another cage to put him into .. so i dunno what i will do that's why im scared im really glad i got rats because before i never new what they where like and now i could'nt be without them.
None of my boys bully eachother and they arnt dominant over there cage/food/bed, Or mee so i dunno . ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

well, I have also been bitten and my plan is to wait awhile until I have enough money to buy another big cage and two more young rats to try and introduce to the boys. So if it does not go well I will have the same big cage and all the right stuff in both of them. Then if it does go well I will have a nice spare cage! now, Im not saying that its a fab idea && im not sure about mine right now either because I still have my hammies needs to concider aswell... I also know your getting a kitten soon && although your ratties might have a room of their own with their cage in, if the kitten decides it wants the rats it will probably find a way of getting them one way or another if you know what I mean.
Anyway.. onto introduceing the rats, I personaly, would buy either the same sized cage or smaller depending on how successful you think the introdution would go and after one night of having the rats separate (so the new ones can ajust to their new home) put both pairs of rats in the wrong cage to get used to the scent of each other and you can also see how they react to the different scent of new rats. once they seem used to this and it could take a while, try introducing them on the floor to see what happens, you may want to try introducing on the floor earlier. But I hope you make the right choice (I hope I make the right one too lol) It is better to introduce rats at a younger age so I'd say make up your mind soon. hope everything goes well
xxxx
(I know your planning on getting one new rat, but two would be best incase the one needs a friend to support him & keep him company ect)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10

Last edited by laydeerodentzz; 04-12-2008 at 11:12 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Thank you !!
yeah well the rats do have a room to there own
and it is locked at all times so nothing can get in there .
The kitten will not be allowed in that room even if we are there to suppervise because i do NOT want to put my animals at risk!
me and the boyfriend are thinking of buying a new cage for are boys so if we do i can maybe get another pair of rats and try and introduce them and if not then they still have a new home.
I know maybe people are thinking im going mad geting this animal and that !
but i truely do have the time for them and the space and i do look after them ! and i know i treat them good but i don't wana get another rat and they don't get on then i panic so maybe i will wait a while.

Thanks Nikita and i hope you make the right choice aswell !
x

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

hehe lol, yeah I forgot you were getting a new cage so that would all work than! You could completely disinfect and sterelise the old cage for the new rat/rats and it could go well. Also if you know when you are getting the new cage, you could also get the new rats at the same time and introduce them in the new cage at the same time because than it wont be anyones terratory and they wont nesserserily fight over it.
Good luck!
x

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

You will definitely need another cage to keep the new rat(s) in. It's important to quarantine any new rats for 2-3 weeks before introducing them to your others. They could carry illness that is not immediately apparent, so you should keep them separated in different rooms during the quarantine. Keep this in mind if you want to get more.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Will It Ever Change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmaughan View Post
You will definitely need another cage to keep the new rat(s) in. It's important to quarantine any new rats for 2-3 weeks before introducing them to your others. They could carry illness that is not immediately apparent, so you should keep them separated in different rooms during the quarantine. Keep this in mind if you want to get more.
yup that's just what i was about to say. as long as you do this before introductions then you're golden.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone *hugs*
i think we are just going to have these boy rat!

but .. i am a animal addict !
so im sure all have more new additions to the family
so dont be surprised if you hear from more additions LOL

Love ya alll
xxx