is it ok to leave my rat alone 2 days? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

is it ok to leave my rat alone 2 days?

hey guys haven't been around much these days, was away to visit my family!

I am going in my boyfriend's family for new year's and I could potentially take louna with me, but I know they don't like rats at all, so it would be more practical to leave her home cozy in her cage.
Would it be ok for her to be alone for 2 days? I know it's really not ideal and she needs time out of her cage and stuff... but have you guys every done it? was it ok?
I'm scared!!
I'm gonna do all that's possible to take her with me (it's only a 2-3h ride) but what if I can't take her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I have left my rats for 48 hours no problem, but they always had cagemates. The only concern to me is that she's all alone. If it was me I'd bring her along because I wouldn't want her to get too lonely.

Edit: Maybe use this as another argument to get another rat.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Still Waiting

I agree with mtmaughan. I wouldn't be as concerned if she had another friend to play with, but she might get lonely considering she's by herself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rest in peace my sweet babies; Sweetie and Butterz.
You will forever be missed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

that's also what I'm concerned about!

good thinking for the argument mtmaughan
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

in the end she's coming with me. I bought a smaller hamster cage just for 2 days because hers is way too big tu bring around, and i feel so bad to put her in something i know is too small for her. Poor baby! she'll get extra kisses for that!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

I have left mine for no more then 3 days and the 3rd day returne. But all have cage mates I am glad she is going with you though as she dont have one and may get to lonly. Smaller cages for traveling and staying in is ok and I know you will give her extra time out to make up for it.
Who knows maybe she'll change there minds on rats and like them after they see how charming and cute Louna is.
diamond

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Louna was a very good girl in her little cage, but she was SO happy to come home to her big mansion!
She got plenty if out time and delicious treats! She slept more than usual in the little cage because she was bored but I'm really glad I brought her with me, I don't think I could've forgiven myself if anything had happened (gets her foot caught somewhere, or chews a hole in the bottom of the cage and dissapears in the apt... who knows what could've happened)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Did she change their minds on rats or was every one still a little leary of her. My rats sleep at my parents alot becuase my dad sneeks in and plays with them but feeds them tons of treats and they come home weight a ton my poor chi and other dog get so spoiled when they leave (grandma and grandpas) there dragging their bellys. My dad sneeks them out and then overly feeds them and when I eat to much I sleep and dont want to move becuase I cant. LOL
I told him that he keeps feeding them he'll be buying or making me a bigger cage and they will break their wheel when they try to excersie. His reply is well if they get lose here by mistake then they be so fat they'll be easy to catch. LOL.
Tattoie is the only rat alowed out here and at my parents when its dinner time becuase we sit in the living room and she waits on the like the dogs do till you hand her food. She even gets spoiled more when we say all gone the dogs and her get to lick the plates. she wont get on your plate she wil go near it and sniff but wont touch it till you tell her its ok.
Did you give your lovely Louna any special goodies while she was there? Were you alowed to have her out and around every one?

Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Well the sister likes rats so she was happy the rat was there, everyone else didn't really care.
She was allowed out whenever I wanted. I put her blanket on the sofa and had her out in the living room a couple of hours!
She did get one special treat: a piece of banana bread made by my father in law haha
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

maybe a couple more visits and they will be hooked. I love banna bread I freind gave me a bread maker but lost the book so I'm gonna borrow my dads and make some for me and the rats. lol
I went to my parents for new years and left tattoie here and even if its just her she very rarly evet dont go but we left her later in the day intime for dinner and spent all the next day then back home the following and boy was she mad at me and her dad (my other half) but we learned a freind was in a car reack him and tattoie love one another and I call her his g/f lol so we bundedled up and went to his place to cherr him up and know she is not so mad.
She was attually so mad she would not take a cheerrio or anything from us but she did our freind when we got back she was back to he old self like ok i supoe you made up for it. Has louna even done that to you seem to get mad at you and has her ways of telling you?

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

you don't need a bread maker to make banana bread, it's made more like a cake and is called a bread because it's usually made with a loaf mould and ends up shaped like wonderbread.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Louna tells me she's mad when I put her back in the cage and she still wants to be out!
She climbs on the bars of her cage and shows me her belly! She actually jumps on the bars, and she follows me as much as possible from within the cage so I always see her belly haha

Or she just doesn't want me to take her out the cage and hides in her cube.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 10:27 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

yeah definably not when they are alone, even when I had many rats I wouldnt leave them alone longer than one day, always had someone go by and check in on them.

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

i have had to many people breck in when we have not been home and I have had friends that have the key which you could tell it was forced entry and the lock was messed with not by a key and then who gets blamed????? the people we have watching. I mean really if you have a key use it dont break in. But no finger prints were taken becuase acording to them its either to cold to warm or only in real like with murders or drugs involved do they take prints. our cops make me laugh and feel sad that we are protected by lazy morons. lol so I stoped asking freinds to go over and come back to check on them and if I have to leave again I make shure all is feed watered extra and all and then go. but it still dont stop the break ins and the cops still wont do anything they insit to tell me I left the door unlocked or I have an untrusting freind who I gave the key to and that i have not changed my lockes when i showed them the recite for 3 locks now. But the only thing the take in meds like for head acks. can food, they use to steel my pet food becuase lets say I have 5 cans I knew were they were sitting and put away and come home to one can um I think that would be a big enough number to tell there is a lot missing and I wrote all this stuff down. SO I keep it in my art room underlock and key. although we have a suspision.
But I have left mine for no more then 3 days as on the 3rd day I return. But they like I said before are all fine. I know I dont need a machine but I want a big big loaf and my dads got the resipe for his maker. Same as mine. I wish is was so much easer to trust people now days. I mean I trust my friends and all but when you have retarded cops who are more less lazy and tell you we dont do stuff like on tv and more less tell you they have a badge all others who dont are stupid then yeah yah kinda feel unsafe in your own place or town. Heck I could beat the parimetices here to the hospotil before the arived to help me.
But if you trust some one next time you go some were and cant take her to go in and check on her or drop her off at a fiends you could do that. Granted you got to take her but incase you ever have to leave her behind you can always get a rat setter.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I got robbed once when I had left for only 3h to go to class. I came home to a broken door and they found the money I was hiding
They slashed open louna's treats and emptied them in her cage... I think she was hiding the whole time because she doesn't like strangers.
The cops did take stuff to the station to try to get prints (like a cardboard box I totally didn't need that they obviously touched.) she told me she couldn't get prints on drawers... how conveniant for the robbers! I just think she didn't want to come back to take prints off my drawers only for a robbery. In the end I never got news of what happened if they got prints or not...
I have a couple of friends who can watch her whenever I go on vacation, but new year's eve seems like everyone is doing something! I need to make a double of my key so I can give it to my brother next time I leave a few days and can't take her

Tags
leaving a rat alone