Ok .. Maybe i will? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Question Ok .. Maybe i will?

Ok well novo has been playing and everything with me but me and my OH was talking and we think we might get novo 2 baby rat buddies if we can find the right ones.. but i was thinking would 3 rats fit into a freddy 2 ? untill there big enough to get a bigger cage ?
Also is it easy to intro an adult male to 2 baby males ?
Im just so scared incase nothing goes right or the new 2 babys are nasty and bite or something?

Advice would be brilliant!

Thanks xx

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I think thats a great idea
It will be easier to introduce babies to Novo instead of an adult.
I think that keeping the three in there until you can get a bigger cage would be fine as the babies are going to be small, so you have time to let them grow before buying a new cage
I didn't quarentine mine for two weeks and you are suppost to. Mine are/were fine, but I should have kept them in a different cage for two weeks to quarentine them so they don't pass on any RIs and stuff like that.
Also, Novo might not accept another cage mate, but if he isn't greeving that much than maybe he will be fine with new cagemates.
I hope everything works for you!

xxXXxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Adolescent Pup

That is wonderful that you are going to get him some friends. Just make sure you will be able to bring them back in case they do not get along. He sounds like he may not be grieving any more. Sometimes they recover quickly.

They should be fine in that cage for now. The baby boys will be small. But remember, you have to quarantine the baby boys from him for at the very least a week. You will need to see if they develop any illnesses like respiratory infections. And they can not have play dates during this time.

I have found that my males are more accepting of other males than my females are of other females. Beaker had to live with his seven boys for a few weeks until they had their homes. He didn’t mind them at all. I tried moving the cages around and he lived with Spartacus for a while and loved him. Then I had to move things back and he had his two left over boys back. I then introduced him to a Lotus and he loved him. He protects Lotus when his boys get too rough with him. I think you will do a lot better introducing him to two baby boys than you would to an older male.

Like I said, make sure you can bring them back in case they are not right for him. Some rats just do not like each other. You may get it on the first shot or you may have to try a couple times. This is more for him than for you, so make sure he is happy with his new cage mates.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 12:00 AM
RAT ADDICT

I think it is a good idea,that is if your up to it.
If it is going to cause unnessicary stress on you,then I wouldn't.Seeing as how your last rats upset you a number of times.

Older rats seem to accept babies much more easier then an adult + adult.Altho that can be done too.Just remember,Novo may or may not accept more rats.Introduce (after a quaratine period of about 2-3 weeks) the rats on neutral ground.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *